Hyrum's birthday sneaked up on me this year. In previous years I'd had themes and party games planned out at least two weeks in advance although the invitations got to the recipients later and later. But this year it was the day before his birthday and I hadn't a clue of what we would even do. As it got closer I was talking to a friend and she already had the theme for her daughters birthday party three months away and even ideas for her other daughters birthday 6 months away. I started to feel guilty and began to think of something that we could do. But I really didn't want to do a big party with tons of kids like we'd done in past years ( especially since I was throwing this together las minute ) so we just contacted one of Hyrum's friends and looked for a good time to do it. It turned out they weren't really available until the end of the month. Which in hindsight was a really good thing because we'd all been sick in between his birthday and the 29th.

Hyrum has been all about jumping on things lately, most specifically and unfortunately, the couch which we've told him time and time again not to do.

We've totally given him mixed messages, I admit. But regardless we decided to go to a place called Jumpin Jacks close by our house that has big inflatable toys to jump and slide on. We reserved a room to have cake and ice cream in to make it feel a little more like a party.

We had a Cookie Monster cake that Hyrum insisted on.

(Kinda scary really)

And present opening by committee. It was just the two of them and Hyrum didn't mind the help.


We had the kids play for a half an hour before cake and ice cream which was good since they had a chance to get a taste for it and then warm up to it during cake and ice cream. Hyrum's friend Addy wasn't too sure about it all but Hyrum jumped right in heading for this one first


Then next to this! He looks so small going down it...by himself!


And in the end the first slide Addy ended up going on was this one. The biggest slide in the whole place and she LOVED IT. After awhile she warmed up to other slides.

This one ultimately became their favorite I think.


And here are the men behind the magic.


I lost count of how many times they tossed them up on that slide.


But I know Derek was sore the next day.

I was nursing a sinus headache so I didn't jump but I got to hold the babies when the other parents took their turns on the slides


I finally took the opportunity to take pictures of Noah with Rakelle, Addy's sister. Hyrum was born 3 months before Addison and Rakelle was born three months before Noah.

This was totally unsolicited. We put them side by side and she instinctively went to pat him on the head. :)

I think there is a new friendship forming.


All in all, despite my procrastination and disorganization the day was a lot of fun and Hyrum loved it too!

Happy third birthday Hyrum! We sure love you!!


This entry was posted on Tuesday, June 01, 2010 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

4 comments:

    Holly said...

    I love that you wrote- "We keep telling him not to do it" and then you push play on the video screen and the first thing I her is you saying, "Ok- do it!" :) FUNNY!!

    We have a jumping place exactly like that here (well- in Holland) but it is such a blast. We took the kids there during spring break and other than being a total zoo- it was so fun. Even for the adults! You need to get some meds Sun. I couldn't stand a sinus headache for that long. Break down and call. FOr ME?!?! :) Love you!

  1. ... on June 2, 2010 at 6:26 AM  
  2. Holly said...

    Oh- and HAPPY BIRTHDAY HYRUM!!!! (oops!)

  3. ... on June 2, 2010 at 6:27 AM  
  4. The Dalton's said...

    Happy Birthday, Hyrum!! What a fun birthday celebration!

  5. ... on June 2, 2010 at 4:50 PM  
  6. Harrisons said...

    Yes, I'm with your sister on this one!!!! Get some meds!! You'll be so happy you did. Did you make the cake? Because it is AWESOME!!! Very cute.

  7. ... on June 3, 2010 at 10:58 PM