My sister's family came west for my brother in laws family reunion and afterwards took the opportunity to come up to Utah to visit us too.

My sister, Holly has long had a healthy fear of trains. Even the sound of them can strike fear, much less feeling the movement of their passing. We live by not one but two active train tracks so I was completely resolved to the fact that they would probably never visit in my house for longer than an hour or so if they visited at all. As their visit got closer we noticed that they were doing work on the near train track and trains were not traveling on them. We let them know and they said that they'd try staying at our house while they were in Utah. We were sooo excited. By the time they were here the trains were running again but not nearly as many or nearly as fast. We held our breath and I got ear plugs for my brave sister. While there were more trains passing then she would have preferred to hear only one caused movement to the house. She survived but I wouldn't blame her for not wanting to stay again.

The visit started with My sister her husband and I (and Noah) going to a movie with my nephew watching Hyrum. That was not a problem because he could have been here alone and probably wouldn't have noticed since I said that he could play the Wii when his cousins got to the house. He is sadly COMPLETELY addicted. It goes without saying that there was a lot of this going on while they were here.


While we were gone there was a wind storm and 3/4ths of our tree in the front yard collapsed.

We weren't too surprised about it since we had lost two major branches and thought we'd loose another and have to replace the tree last year. We knew we were living on borrowed time. Who needs a chain saw when you have a circular saw with a long cord. :)

The next day was a Salt Lake City day. We started at the temple where my nephew Ethan and Holly were able to go do baptisms.

After they were done we hit temple square; saw the Christus,

the tabernacle

and then headed to the Conferance Center



Hyrum gave Ethan a workout on top of the Conference Center.

The next day we hit BYU campus in attempts to impress my nephew who could be considering it in 6 years. :) There was EFY going on and while the kids were gathering they had people beat boxing. Now Hyrum is a huge fan of beat boxing ever since Derek came up with this game.



I've since "sung" some beat boxing to Noah when he was fussy and found Hyrum doing "the Robot" to the beat. So when he heard this going on he couldn't control his arms...and feet. That's new but apparently a very important part of the dance.

I don't know if you can hear the beat box very good above the din of the gathering teenagers.

We ended our BYU tour with the obligatory stop at the cougar for pictures. I realized while we were here that it was Noah's first time at the cougar too.
Ethan and Noah
Noah, Ethan, Saroya, Hyrum and Jaliegh

Saturday we decided to head up the canyon for a hike. Unfortunately we'd never been on this particular hike and didn't know exactly where the trail head was. Finally we found A trail head and got started.

It was a pretty steep hike and we had kids that were tired just feet into the hike so we took the first path to level ground off the main trail. We each found our hiking styles.

I love this picture of the two extremes of hiking. For a while let's follow Jaliegh's hike...it started like this then became

That, of course, is the back pack carrier that Hyrum abandoned fairly quickly on the hike.

Her Dad picked up a bouquet of beautiful wildflowers on the way which became energy flowers.


Things got a lot better after this.

Nathan must know his daughter.

The hike turned out to be pretty eventful. The path we ultimately found out was probably a cow path because it lead to the pasture we found them in when we arrived at the trail head. But getting there was a little scary at times.

There was a daring rescue :)



And an extremely steep incline that had me worried with an adorable bundle on my chest


At the bottom of this ravine was a little stream


Across the stream was a pasture with a bunch of cows in it

The big black one was not happy about us being there and after it left kept mooing his protests. Then as we were walking back to the cars came up over the ridge and looked like he was going to charge us. It was pretty tense for awhile.

There were a few firsts on our hike; Hyrum's first walk through a stream in his "new" Keen shoes ( thanks again Avery's) it was Noah's first hike ever and there was another significant first...

Am I a horrible mother for taking a picture. I was just so excited for him. Yeah I'm dumb.

After our hike we headed to Fat Cats to bowl. Hyrum thought it was a lot of fun.

He carried the ball to the little ramp all by himself ( if his cousins didn't get to the ball and help him get it there for him)


He was pretty proud of himself when he saw the results. He thinks he's the best bowler ever! :)

We went to see some fireworks that night but it was really windy and super late when we got home so we set off our fireworks the next night. My sister got some pretty cool sparklers pictures. Aren't they a must?

All too soon they had to go and with sweet kisses to Noah they were off....


then back when they realized that they'd forgotten all of their toothbrushes.

The best thing about my sisters families visiting is how much fun my boys have with their cousins. It doesn't matter how many years are between these kids they always just play all together. This was the first time Noah met them




He LOVED all the attention

(Did I mention there was a lot of Lego Star Wars being played with the cousins?)

So did Hyrum

We miss you Avery's! Come back ANY TIME! :)


This entry was posted on Saturday, July 10, 2010 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

2 comments:

    Pam said...

    How fun!! I am so happy you girls make a point to visit each other and keep the cousins "engaged". It is great to see them together. I LOVE MY GRANDKIDS in all the time zones they live in.

  1. ... on July 17, 2010 at 6:01 PM  
  2. Three Men and a Janie said...

    I love the "other significant first" story... I laughed my head off when Paul taught Mac to "go" in the wilderness. Unfortunatley he started going in our front yard after that. I've taught him now to only go in the back yard. :)

  3. ... on July 18, 2010 at 5:10 PM