So Hyrum saw an amazingly ornate and gorgeous apple pie in the Parade magazine a couple of weeks ago and decided that he loved apple pie.

( Gorgeous isn't it! )
He's never had apple pie and it's all I can do to get him to eat just plain apples from time to time but he told me that he wanted apple pie for Christmas (which meant next week). I knew he'd never try it unless it looked somewhat like the apple pie he saw so I determined to make an attempt. The day before I tried Derek was reading a book to the boys and in the book the mom sends the boy to the store for some items like apples and cream and he brings home apple pie and ice cream. Noah quickly picked up on the apples and repeated "Apple! Apple! Apple!" While Hyrum repeated "Apple pie! Apple pie!" Now Noah can not be left out of anything and has to be like Hyrum so he started screaming "APPLE PIE! APPLE PIE!" It kinda became a thing because we thought it was so funny.


( Just a slice of life with our boys. Excuse Noah being a mess.. He just got done eating when Dad started filming. Gotta be quicker on the clean I guess)

So Sunday after dinner I got everything ready and got started to make my attempt. Peeling and slicing took longer than I thought I would. It looked like an awful lot of apples when I was done but it said 3 1/2 pounds so I kept going. I mixed in all of the sugars and cinnamon, flour and salt and began putting it into the pie tin.


I didn't even get them all in. There were so many of them but the recipe called to heap them into the pie so that's exactly what I did. I figured I was putting a top crust on so it would be alright.


I bought every last crust I used by the way. I figured it I was going to make this attempt I was going to make it as easy for myself as I could. Then came the moment Hyrum had been waiting for...making the adornments. I didn't have any adorable leaf cookie cutters so we used what we had


A circle, a heart, a diamond, a flower and a dog. He had been trying to cookie cut every crust he saw so I had to be watchful. He kept rushing to the next part. He was so excited.


It wasn't until I had the pie in the oven egg washed and all when I realized that in my rush I'd forgotten the butter and the vanilla. If it had been a crumble crust as I'm accustomed (HA!Once I made one) to makeing it would be no problem but with a double ( triple ) crust that created a problem.

I did my best to add it but I was fairly sure that only the middle would be flavored and overly so. At least it looked pretty good considering. Nothing like the original but closer than I ever thought I could get.


We ate it for the treat for Family Home Evening because it didn't get done until the boys were asleep. We sat down to eat it to the chants of "APPLE PIE! APPLE PIE!" Hyrum announced that it smelled sooo good. We cut everyone a piece.

And Hyrum WOULDN'T EAT IT! We had to promise him straight brown sugar to eat one piece. I couldn't taste anything (blasted cold) but Derek said it tasted good. Doesn't look like this will become a tradition. Part of me isn't so sad about that.


This entry was posted on Monday, November 21, 2011 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

3 comments:

    Brei said...

    that's so funny !! I love your boys. what a great mom you are!

  1. ... on November 23, 2011 at 8:43 AM  
  2. The Dalton's said...

    My mom, Sonja, and I are all drooling over that pie too!! What a neat idea, I love how you guys made one!!

  3. ... on November 24, 2011 at 2:48 PM  
  4. Laurie said...

    Beautiful - next apple pie I make I'm gonna try this!

  5. ... on November 27, 2011 at 9:34 AM