We've been living a bit of a white trash lifestyle lately. The faucet we bought a year or so ago was one of those pull out sprayers. We loved that we could spray things and that were higher or farther away from the faucet than we could reach until it started leaking...but no problem my dad showed us how you could tighten something to keep it from dripping anymore. But then it never really sat in it's "holster" the way it should. It always kinda sagged just a bit. Then one day I walked downstairs and there was water running down the wall and a small puddle on the floor. It took me awhile to realize that the pull out sprayer was dripping in it's ill fitted holster down into the basement and no amount of tightening would stop it. That's no big deal I thought we'll just keep it hanging in the sink. It didn't want to stay in the holster nice anyway.



We lived like this for awhile. I was always a little embarrassed when people came over and did anything in my kitchen and didn't say anything when they put the sprayer back in the holster even though I sat there worried about what was happening in the basement.

We started to notice that every time we ran the garbage disposal the yucky water would back up in the second sink which wasn't normally a problem unless you had clean dishes in there drying. And the sink was draining very slowly as well. I figured something was clogged in there so I got a plunger to see if I could dislodge it. No luck. Derek decided to give it a try with no luck either. So he decided to look in the trap. We did find some interesting things in there but when he went to put it back together it just didn't quite fit right. We discovered that they had previously put it together with some kind of caulking. Then we noticed the disposal was leaking. Derek was able to put the pipes back together to where they were only dripping a little bit and we put a bucket under the disposal, then made plans for a new disposal. Meanwhile Derek got sick and went on a business trip and the jimmy rig under the sink was thought less of until Derek was at Stake conference adult session and I went downstairs to run some laundry and found a significant puddle on the floor and water marks all down the wall and even running along the furnace pipe to the middle of the room. Whatever Derek had done to fix the pipes was no longer working and water was pouring out of them everytime any water ran down them.


Monday it was FHE under the sink.


Derek started with the disposal installing a new one. Including a new stainless steel stopper. Am I dumb to like this so much


He had a little help along the way.


One day when Hyrum is older and has his own home I'll tell him that he replaced a garbage disposal when he was 4. :)


Then on to replacing every last pipe under the sink.


No caulking allowed.


It looked so pretty when it was all done and not a leak in sight.

Then he got started on replacing the faucet.


Three hours after he got started, between crazy boys and baths, Derek was all but done besides the cold water hook up not staying in place and spraying water everywhere while I tried to get the boys teeth brushed and in bed. We agreed that he'd take a break and wait for me to help him finish it.

After cleaning up the kitchen a bit we found the tiny little metal clamp that kept the cold water connection in place and after that it was smooth sailing.

I do poverty well and I don't mind being inconvenienced to save a buck but it is seriously soooo nice not to worry about water ending up in our basement if something is put out of place. And I have to say I am incredibly impressed with my handy husband. Sometimes I catch him admiring his work under the sink too. Little by little we are redoing the kitchen. Now I need a new sink...maybe when we replace the counter tops.


This entry was posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2012 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1 comments:

    Brei said...

    Fantastic! Now we know who can help Kelly when we put in new sinks in the bathroom this Spring! I'm sure this was an inspired post. :) Glad you have no more drippage and a pretty new stopper-I'd admire it, too.

  1. ... on February 1, 2012 at 12:50 PM