I've never grown broccoli before. It seemed like a master gardners type of thing to grow but it's actually quite easy! And I've had GREAT results!

You may recall that I started them on the window sill just after Valentines day.


I planted two seeds per four inch pot. Let them grow until they had one or two true sets of leaves then put them outside during the day for a week to get them used to the outdoor weather ( although anyone who knows me knows that the temperature inside my house was not much better than outside) then planted them in the garden about a foot apart ( I wish I'd spaced them a bit more now) and watched them grow. They can handle temperatures down to around 20 degrees. They were snowed upon several times and didn't have a problem with that. And when the flowerets got to be about the size of a match stick head you can harvest them. They say that the heads won't get as big as in the store but I've had some heads that were as big if not bigger than the ones I get in the store! :)

After the main head produces you can harvest smaller side shoots for weeks after! When it gets hot though it will go to seed quickly and you won't be able to use it. So you'll need to start them early in the spring or plant them directly into the ground outside around the middle to end of July for a fall harvest. You can eat it fresh or you can freeze it after some processing and have it all winter long.

You can put it on baked potatoes with cheese or join it with califlower and carrots douse them in ranch and monterrey jack cheese and bake it for a delicious cheesy veggie side dish. Toss it in stir fry. Any other great broccoli dishes you know of?



This entry was posted on Thursday, June 25, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

8 comments:

    Dave said...

    Sounds like a master gardener to me!! Congrats!
    Hmmm, I put fresh broccoli in green salads or on homemade pizza.

  1. ... on June 25, 2009 at 7:52 PM  
  2. Brei said...

    Will you come grow broccoli at my house? Or at least help me? :)

  3. ... on June 25, 2009 at 8:21 PM  
  4. Nikki said...

    Awesome! Not surprised though. Here's any easy recipe that uses broccoli- http://www.ricearoni.com/rar_recipes/search/recipe.cfm?recipeid=818

  5. ... on June 26, 2009 at 2:08 AM  
  6. Harrisons said...

    Ummm, I think I have to disagree with you. You have too kind of grown broccoli. It just wasn't very successful ;)

  7. ... on June 27, 2009 at 6:23 PM  
  8. Sunny said...

    OH that's RIGHT Niayana!! I'm telling you that garden was the step garden! Did the ones you grew from seed ever produce? We should have totally harvested the broccoli when we bought those plants. At least we would have had something to SHOW for those plants. :)

  9. ... on June 28, 2009 at 6:28 PM  
  10. Harrisons said...

    No, those plants never did a thing. The weather this year has been PERFECT for broccoli. It has to be below 80 and this whole month has been weather broccoli loves.

  11. ... on June 29, 2009 at 3:41 PM  
  12. Globe Trotters said...

    woowza Sunny!

  13. ... on June 30, 2009 at 12:24 PM  
  14. Kendall and Melissa said...

    That looks wonderful!! We attempted broccoli this year too. It wasn't too hard actually. I just love garden food!!! Hooray!

  15. ... on July 13, 2009 at 10:36 PM