We were so lucky to have Derek's parents come down to play with Hyrum while we were at the hospital and to ease the transition of a new addition. It was a MAJOR load off my mind that we wouldn't have to leave Hyrum at a friends house in the middle of the night for 7 hours or more. I was so glad that he was able to be in his own house with Grandma all to himself.

As she always does grandma came bearing gifts. First and foremost was a new train. The train they brought down last October had been loved to death and was beyond repair. Hyrum insisted that Papa ( my dad ) would fix it. So my mother in law went in search for a new train to spare my dad having to do the same when in fact the train couldn't be fixed.
Not only was it a new train but it was Caterpillar train with diggers on the flat bed cars. She also brought a bag of Derek's old toys for Hyrum to discover.
He especially loved the Spiderman action figure he found.
She also brought a little house and tunnel play area for Hyrum to explore.
She was probably regretting that a little when he had her crawl through the tunnel too.
We are so blessed to have Derek's parents live so close (relatively).

Unfortunately they had to leave the day after we got home from the hospital with Noah. Luckily Derek had taken that week off so we relaxed and bonded.

My boys have a family hug

Momma & Hyrum: Best friends

Dad and Hyrum: Best friends

Noah and Hyrum: Best friends

This is what happens when Hyrum decides you need to give Noah a kiss. He'll insist upon it!

The next Sunday evening my parent's arrived. We let Hyrum stay up to greet them ( an hour and a half after his bedtime) and the first thing he said when the door opened was "Make Popcorn!" I'd told Hyrum when he was asking to make popcorn for the third night in a row that we would make popcorn when Mema and Papa got here. This little boy doesn't forget.

Most of my parents time here is a blur of sleeplessness. They were so good to send me off to sleep whenever they could get me to go. I probably should have taken them up on the offers more often but I don't get to see them too often so I wanted to spend as much time with them as I could. I didn't take nearly enough pictures but I did take a few.
Papa and his namesake ( they got him that shirt that says"I'm nuts about Grandpa")
Mema was a favorite with Hyrum when they were here
Partly because she played the Wii with him. They boxed and Hyrum got a little upset when Grandma kept going down. As it turned out she had his controller and he had hers.
Hyrum introduced them to "Defend your Castle". They got really invested in defending the castle.

And as always we did a lot of house changes while they were here as well. The first order of business was changing the knobs in the kitchen quickly followed by changing the light fixture over the sink. All the boys helped with this one. But my dad having torn his rotator cuff did more instructing than doing which was good for both of them.
Before
After
They also finished the project they started in October by putting a light in the pantry but not just any old light. This light turns on when the door is opened and turns off when the door closes. Now we just need to make sure the door closes all the way when we're done in there. It is sooo nice.
My mom braved the cold and pruned my roses and in doing so started to see wasps outside ( yeah already!!). So it was decided that the mysterious poles in the back patio needed to go as they became little wasp motels throughout the summer last year.
They actually went down really fast and we were left wondering why in the world we hadn't done this sooner. When we get around to repouring the cement it will look perfect.

At first I was terrified about brining a baby into the world in the midst of the flu season especially with the advent of the H1N1 virus. But with that fizzleing. RSV became the threat. It's a bad year for it too. But I really wanted my parents to be here when we blessed Noah and also wanted them to be here to help. So blessing Noah earlier than I originally wanted to or do it without my parents were my choices. I decided I wanted my parents here more than I was afraid of germs. But my plan was to sit in the lobby until they called for him walk him in hand him to Derek and then take him home immediately afterward.

Noah looked fabulous in his blessing outfit. He's bigger than Hyrum so he filled it out a bit more than Hyrum had and he wasn't nearly as upset about it. All the pictures we have of Hyrum in his blessing outfit were blurry because he was screaming and flailing. But Noah was serene.
We dressed Hyrum in something special too so he wouldn't feel left out. My boys looked smashing.
Have I mentioned how much Hyrum likes Noah and how much he likes him to grab his finger.
Little man did great! Didn't cry or blow out during his blessing ( Hyrum did both) My mom and I franticly wrote down what we could of his blessing to compare notes afterwards and Noah and I left after sacrament to rest and breathe clean air. :) At his two week appointment the doctor scared me even more about RSV so I'm so glad that he's been blessed.
We have been too!


This entry was posted on Monday, March 08, 2010 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

5 comments:

    Brei said...

    Did Derek get that big brown toy sack from Grandma Hallie? Cause my older siblings and I all have one just like it! What treasures!

  1. ... on March 12, 2010 at 10:30 AM  
  2. Nikki said...

    How is it that you have a toddler and a newborn- and already look like you've never been pregnant?! Why did I not get those genes?!

    Glad the grandparent visits were good and that Noah got in and out of the church building without any germs attacking him. :)

    Such cute little boys!!!

  3. ... on March 12, 2010 at 7:03 PM  
  4. Harrisons said...

    That blessing outfit is too stinkin' cute! Thanks for all the pictures. And now your basement looks just like mine...filled with a tent!

  5. ... on March 12, 2010 at 10:43 PM  
  6. Kyle and Amy Brinkerhoff said...

    Noah is such a handsome little man! I love seeing Hyrum with him because Addy is the same way with Rakelle.

  7. ... on March 13, 2010 at 9:28 PM  
  8. Pam said...

    We loved being there with all of you during this very exciting time. I only wish we could have seen Derek's folks. Seems like we are always just missing them. We miss and love you all!

  9. ... on March 18, 2010 at 8:50 PM