I should have done this weeks ago but there's no time like the present, right?

May 20th was the father's and son's camp out. I never could figure out why they would go camping in May. It is always cold. Last year Derek wanted to take Hyrum but he'd gotten sick. I couldn't figure out why they'd go camping in such a cold time of the year but then I realized it was to commemorate the anniversary of the restoration of the priesthood...makes more sense now.

This year was no different than the other years it was going to be mid sixties during the day and around 40 at night. I was so scared to send my little guy out into the cold of the night. I packed sweatshirts, a winter coat, extra socks, hats, gloves, thermals, super warm pajamas and I also sent them with extra blankets in addition to their 0 degree rated sleeping bags.

Hyrum was beyond excited to go camping with his dad. Noah stayed with me, Derek doesn't have enough eyes to keep track of both of them and I was nervous enough about Hyrum going that I needed to make sure one of my boys was safe and WARM that night. As soon as Derek got home Hyrum was ready to be in the car and on the way


but we had yet to pack anything in the car. After what seemed like an eternity ( at least to Hyrum ) they were on their way. Noah was not nearly as excited about this idea.


Hyrum had to have an "Indiana Jones hat" just like dad. Not sure what we're going to do when another little man needs a hat like that.

Growing up in a house full of girls I didn't know how Father's and Son's go. I got an education. First stop on the Fathers and sons weekend is the grocery store...where apparently you buy your son's weight in junk food. I should have taken a picture of the pile of goodies that came back with them. All I ended up getting was a picture of the receipt. GAH!


I didn't get to sleep until 3 in the morning worrying about my boys in the cold and Derek didn't sleep well either because of worry. Hyrum on the other hand insisted that he take off one of his four layers that he was wearing because he was too hot and was dead to the world all night. It was all junk food and fun for Hyrum. Can't wait till next year!




This entry was posted on Monday, June 13, 2011 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1 comments:

    Jenn J. said...

    Wow! First of all, I never knew that the father/son was to commemorate the anniversary of the restoration. No clue. Thanks for the education! Second, I'm glad Hyrum had fun. It's definitely something these little guys look forward to. I think we have many years ahead of excited little boys and worrying. But, they love it. :) CUTE hat, CUTE picture with his backpack. LOVE the shopping list. :)

  1. ... on June 14, 2011 at 8:42 PM