It all started the Saturday after Thanksgiving when Hyrum could wait no longer for a tree and we got ready to go to the local tree lot to get one. It was nice to be getting a tree during the day light and when it wasn't so bitterly cold. Hyrum was doling out hats to all of us and picked out the santa hat for Derek. Thinking he'd rather wear another hat I told Hyrum that I wanted that one. I was doing something else when I heard Derek laugh. I looked up and asked what was so funny. Derek told Hyrum to tell me what he'd just said.

"You get what you get, and you don't throw a fit."

"That's right, Hyrum" ( thinking "Wow he's finally getting it. Yahoo!" )

Then I took a closer look at Derek, and started to laugh. He was wearing a child's German hat that probably fits Noah or Hyrum perfectly right now. Derek...not so much. But after that lecture, how could Derek refuse so off we went with our hats on to pick a tree.

The hat actually started to grow on Derek and by the end he decided that it was going to be his official tree hunting hat.



We'll see if he feels the same next year.

This will be our last year (hopefully) loading a gigantic tree onto our tiny car. It's always an adventure. We always take the back roads and worry all the way home.


But once we had it up and decorated the car ride was forgotten. We've all but abandoned the idea of a coordinated tree. Our boys just love to see their past ornaments. I love to see mine too. We wouldn't have enough ornaments to be coordinated these days anyway.


Our next door neighbors moved up to Salt Lake City right after Thanksgiving and we decided that we would go up to see them and hit temple square for the lights. It was really cold so when we got onto temple square we went into the visitors center to warm up a bit and squeezed up to see the Christus.


There were a lot of people up there. Pretty much everywhere we went we felt a bit like cattle. I guess that's what you get for going up on a Saturday night. We'll have to try a Thursday next time.


This was Hyrum's favorite part. He was fascinated by the little light balls on the water.

The boys loved it. We'll have to make more of an effort to make it up there every year. We'll just have to remember how busy it is on Saturday. Of course most days are busy when the lights are on.

When we went to get Hyrum's pictures taken we noticed this Christmas tree lot where they had made an old truck into Mater from 'Cars'. Noah is head over heels in love with 'Cars' this year so I thought he would like meeting Mater in the rusty steel. He was a little hesitant.


He warmed up to the idea a little.


As we were leaving with Hyrum's pictures we noticed that we'd gotten pictures with Mater without his hat on. We had to get another picture from the car.


At the annual Ward Christmas they had a Santa Claus and Hyrum literally ran without me up to see him. he was so excited that he was hugging and bouncing around with his friends that were near him. Noah wasn't so sure but by the time we got up to see the big guy he was feeding off Hyrum's excitement.




I was proud of both my boys they sat on his lap and spoke very clearly both saying what they wanted and that they were good boys. Not sure how we got such confident social boys when we were both so painfully shy. I don't imagine I ever said much to Santa in my day.

Throughout the holidays I would frequently find my boys like this


My parents gave us a prerecorded book about the first Christmas that they "read" to the boys. They both loved it. Especially since Mema and Papa were reading it to them.


This entry was posted on Saturday, December 17, 2011 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1 comments:

    Jenn J. said...

    SO cute! What a fun holiday. You guys are such fun parents and I loved the hat story. I'd love a tree hunting hat like that! :)

  1. ... on January 10, 2012 at 9:04 PM