While in Michigan we picked up a extra traveler for the way home. My late uncle Randy's canoe, The "RANDAZZLE"


We had to have three grown men help us get it on to our van and secure it for the trek across the country.


My sister Holly and her husband bought the canoe from my Uncle Randy before he died. He was happy that it was going to a young family that would have years of memories in it.  They now have older kids and individual kayaks.  They don't take the canoe out much anymore so they offered it to us which we excitedly accepted

In front of the Nauvoo temple on our 10 year anniversary

I have many memories in this canoe with my grandparents (where the canoe was housed for years) on the Rogue river in Rockford.

In front of the Carthage Jail

I can recall sitting, head resting on my hands that laid on the edge of the side, gazing at the seaweed and rocks at the bottom of the river looking for seashells, mesmerized by the swirls in the water from the paddles.
Passing the Gateway to the West in St Louis

I was so excited for it to be in my garage now. Waiting for hundreds of similar memories for my boys.

We had to really search for a green cornfield in Kansas. We missed the sunflower field. Bummer.

I envisioned later in life my three boys hoisting it up onto some kind of vehicle and taking it out, just the three of them. Laughing and bonding on a lake or river somewhere.

Passing through Vail, Colorado

Or Derek and I paddling around some mountain lake with crystal clear waters.

Up through the mountains

As we drove it hummed to us. I think it was happy for the adventure

This was an wild picture to get. 

At one rest stop we were at an Asian family couldn't stop looking at and talking about it. I swear I saw them take a picture.  This must be bonafide old Indian kind of stuff.


Here it is in front of it's new home. Ready for a hundred new memories to be made!


This entry was posted on Monday, July 23, 2012 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1 comments:

    Pam said...

    Fun to see the Randazzle zooming across the country. I am sure Randy is smiling.

  1. ... on December 10, 2012 at 7:11 PM