I'd searched, and searched but hadn't ever found a u pick farm in Utah. That is probably due in part to the mini farms that grace the back yards of so many Utahns. But a month ago I was driving home from grocery shopping and saw a sign advertising a u pick raspberry farm in Payson ( which is a small jaunt from here) In my frantic search for the website I came across a u pick farm finder website that I'd previously searched for farms and came up with a big ZERO. But lo and behold this time there were 3 u pick farms listed. So we set a date to go picking raspberries and blackberries.

Hyrum was really excited about the blackberries. They are his favorite right now and has the berry stains to prove it. Believe it or not we'd wiped off his face at least twice by the time I took this picture.

We also picked raspberries. Hyrum wasn't nearly as excited about them and we couldn't figure out why until we got him home and de berryed and found the scratches on his hands, arms and fingers. He discovered that raspberries bite back.
What Hyrum WAS interested in was the little eclectic animal farm next door to the McBrides briar patch. They had everything from chickens roosters and geese to ramming goats, deer and stags.
Do you see the white stag?!? Don't we get a wish if we catch it?
My boys and the goats...the deer are in the back ground.

The berries were big and beautiful. We munched on them all day.















K, I don't know why that blackberry picture is the way it is...it looked normal in my picture file.

But my big plans for the loads of berries we picked was fruit leather!! My mom used to make it all the time when we were young and I loved it. So I mixed some blackberries and raspberries together and made some up.
Sounds like I just threw it together doesn't it. Well unfortunately it was in the oven ALL night.
Someday if I get a dehydrator it will go much faster I'm told but in the meantime this was GREAT! A little seedy but SOO good! And now I have big plans for the apricot nectar my mother in law always sends down to us. :)


This entry was posted on Monday, September 22, 2008 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

5 comments:

    Harrisons said...

    Fun to know about. I didn't think we had any u pick places around here.

  1. ... on September 22, 2008 at 3:52 PM  
  2. Kendall and Melissa said...

    Wow, you are quite the domestic Sunny! I need to find out from you how to do leather! I have a dehydrator, but don't know how to make leather.

  3. ... on September 22, 2008 at 6:37 PM  
  4. Nikki said...

    You are the happy homemaker! Sounds like fun- RumRum's as cute as ever. :)
    BTW I really like your blackberry picture!

  5. ... on September 23, 2008 at 11:05 PM  
  6. Dave said...

    I, too, like the blackberry picture, and I do like fruit leather. Save some for me, we'll be there in a few weeks!!

  7. ... on September 29, 2008 at 10:01 AM  
  8. Holly said...

    I don't remember mom making fruit leather. I remember her buying some from the store, but wow. That was lost on me! :)

    Great pictures and yummy berries! I am gald you finally found a u pick! I love that Derek put on the flannel for the farm. He IS from Idaho, huh? ;) Love ya Derek!

  9. ... on October 1, 2008 at 11:19 AM