With barren dirt and weeds that hurt and stubby corn all in a row. :)

This first year of a garden here has not been a stellar one. If I was really honest with myself I knew it wouldn't be great as I was pulling all kinds broken glass, rusty nails, screws, bolts, nuts, washers, broken ceramics and more broken glass out of the dirt. Not the best fill by far. Up on the hill towards the fence line the dirt was much better. I think some of the neighbors soil amendments have washed into our yard over the years. And that is where the plants did the best.

This is where we planted the vine plants. I'd hoped to not be able to walk through this little square for all the vines everywhere.

But we did get a couple cantelopes, three watermelons and a honeydew! :) Not all bad. Even a volunteer watermelon has a couple fruit on it.


But I battled squash bugs all summer with the zucchini and summer squash and in the end I think I lost. The peppers I planted turned out to all be the same variety even though I thought they were three different varieties.

Regardless of what I knew about the dirt my highest hopes were for the corn. We planted four different varieties two early varieties that would get 4 feet and two late varieties that would get around 8 feet.

It looks like the different varities are planted from left to right but they are really planted near to far all of the corn closest to us is the later variety that was suppose to be 8 feet. Yeah. But we HAVE gotten some corn...of course this is what they look like.

But they taste good. :)

And we will probably get some normal sized corn yet this year.

This is what the plants look like on the fence line though


Tomatoes and pumpkins. That's what did well. And it was because it was on the fence line. Thats where we wanted to put the garden anyway so that works. Plus the other day I found the local green dump that looks like they sell compost too. And since my compost pile is taking forever and a day to do anything. I think we'll end up taking advantage of the city compost. Now we just need a truck. :) So stay tuned...one day the garden will be the garden of Eden. Someday!


This entry was posted on Monday, August 31, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

3 comments:

    Nikki said...

    This post makes me laugh- so many funny things in there! That corn cracks me up!!

    You've done very well with your garden, Are you starting to decide when and what to do with the backyard once the harvest is over? I do believe it will be the garden of Eden someday!

  1. ... on September 1, 2009 at 10:54 PM  
  2. Pam said...

    I can't wait to see this garden-yard in October. Should be a good time to pick the pumpkins. Yea! Sunny, you work so hard. Grandma Nellie would be so proud of you. I know I am.

  3. ... on September 4, 2009 at 9:26 PM  
  4. Holly said...

    That is sooo funny!! You are hillarious. :)

    I think you are a great gardner! Maybe you can have some grass for next year since you will have TWO babies to lay on the lawn with! :P

    Sooo- Funny. Too funny!

  5. ... on September 16, 2009 at 7:53 AM