Monday night we decided to do our annual pumpkin cut now that my parents are here to play with us. Last year Hyrum had little to no interest in it, although he did show some interest in the sharp knives. Great! Poor Derek ended up planning gutting and carving the pumpkin solo because we were all occupied with corralling Hyrum and keeping him entertained so he wouldn't go and try to grab those sharp silver things on the table. This year he was really excited to go get the pumpkins and bring them in but once the gutting began he was out. I'm pretty sure he literally gagged a little when we tried to make him touch the insides.

But when my dad finally got his gutted and started to put a face on it. All of a sudden he was ALL ABOUT this. ESPECIALLY when Papa let him cut out an eye.

After that he was hooked. He was so proud of his pumpkin. It was the one that he picked out of the little pumpkin patch and he loved it.

He immediately insisted that the other pumpkin be cut. But as soon as any talk of gutting started he lost interest quick.

But other pumpkins were being completed and he spent his time admireing and making scary noises for them.


While we carved my mom remembered when she helped us carve pumpkins by herself one year when we were young. It was usually my dad's job to carve the pumpkins when we'd gutted them and after we'd decided what we wanted on it, but he was out of town on business. Carving the pumpkins went smoothly until we went to light them and my mom discovered that we didn't have candles. She decided to put a buddy burner in the pumpkin figuring that it was close enough to a candle. We lit the "candle" and ran out to the street to see it all lit up only to watch black smoke pouring out of it's eyes. Naturally we were all a bit traumatized by the whole thing. (But it must not have been too traumatic since I didn't remember it. :) She was sure to ask if we had tea lights which we did...no drama this year.

Hyrum has been addicted to Blues Clues these days and as luck would have it we have a hand me down Blue costume that Hyrum plans to wear this year ( to at least one event ) and my dad brought some blues clues DVD's to fuel the obsession. So naturally we were going to have to have a "Blue" pumpkin. Auntie Nikki provided the pattern and Dad provided the finesse work.

Meanwhile Hyrum continued to make spooky sounds for the pumpkins...

and hover over Papa waiting for his turn to cut or pull pieces out. He was so excited to pull them out that he'd put them back in like a puzzle and pull them back out again.

It was so fun to see Hyrum in positions that I'm sure I spent a lot of time in when I was his age watching my dad carve the face I'd chosen for my pumpkin and watch it take life. How grateful I am to have my parents be amazing grandparents for my son. Although I'm pretty sure I was never allowed to cut anything on pumpkins I had as a young child.

The real highlight of the night as it always is was lighting the pumpkins and watching them glow.

Although I didn't carve a pumpkin I did contribute in a meaningful way...

I made the roasted pumpkin seeds...as well as ate them. YUM!


This entry was posted on Tuesday, October 27, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

4 comments:

    Laurie said...

    Our pumpkin carving traditions are so similar, it must be because we are related! Looks like you had a lot of fun with your parents. By next year Hyrum will be a pro, and I'm sure he will love showing his baby brother how brave he is when he guts his own pumpkin!

  1. ... on October 29, 2009 at 8:35 PM  
  2. Jenn J. said...

    Give it a few years. Soon he'll be as big as our big boy and pulling out the guts saying, "Aaawesome!" :) Boys will be boys, right?
    Cute pumpkins and fun to have your parents with you!

  3. ... on October 29, 2009 at 8:50 PM  
  4. Holly said...

    SO cute!! I loved the way they turned out, and the pictures really tell the story! Funny that I don't remember the "buddy burner" story either. Guess it wasn't too bad.

    My favorite part is gutting them. It's soo cool!

    CAN NOT wait to see you soooo soon!!

  5. ... on October 31, 2009 at 8:16 PM  
  6. Nikki said...

    I love Mom and Dad with their grandkids. Looks like a great time was had by all.
    Glad you like the Blues Clues design too :)

  7. ... on October 31, 2009 at 9:30 PM