From time to time things get too stressful and we just need to run away. We don't do it very often. The last time we did it was before Hyrum was born and we ran away to Disneyland. Last month was super stressful for Derek at work and quarantining Noah from RSV was making me go cabin crazy. We both needed to get away. I had a dream that Derek took off a Friday and we took off into the mountains...ok ok it was to Park City but it got me thinking and then got me planning.

So last Friday Derek took off a half day ( it was all he could manage to do) we escaped into the mountains around Park City for a overnighter mini-cation. The object was to be together and to relax. Even as we rose up into the mountains we felt ourselves becoming more relaxed.
It was going to be a fleeting warm weekend in the valley and we felt silly going up into the mountains where it was going to be 10- 15 degrees cooler but once we got there it didn't matter.

Everyone was happier with different scenery. :)


The first order of business was laying around.


Then we went to check out the hotel.



It was just a Best Western but the thing about EVERYTHING in Park City is that it has to be POSH no matter what. Case in point...


After dinner we headed down the road to the outlet mall to use the gift certificate I got for my last years birthday.

But after that was done we played a bit.


Then we went home and got ready for the pool which was another objective of our trip.

Hyrum has never been in a swimming pool despite our intentions on different vacations to do so. We had even bought him swim diapers (which became swim undies on this mini-cation) and a life jacket ( which I realized that I forgot on the way up the canyon ) for our other attempts.



We did eventually get him in the pool and hot tub ( and Noah in the pool ) but we had to promise him a cookie from the registration desk which he was insistent on while he was swimming and hot tubbing.

The next day after an amazing and free Mother's day brunch which I wasn't aware of when I booked the hotel since my awesome calendar had Mother's day on the next week.


Then after another jaunt to the outlet mall we headed home.


It was so nice, easy and fun that we want to do mini-cations much more often. Until then I'm looking for cheap hotel rates in various beautiful locations close by! :)


This entry was posted on Wednesday, May 12, 2010 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

4 comments:

    Laurie said...

    What a wonderful treat for all of you! And you live in such a great place that finding another great retreat shouldn't be hard at all...the Homestead comes to mind immediately, but I know there are plenty of other options. xoxox to all!

  1. ... on May 15, 2010 at 9:57 PM  
  2. Harrisons said...

    I can't believe Hyrum has never been in the pool! I had to read it like 3 times because I was sure you meant Noah. Did he think it was the best thing ever?

  3. ... on May 16, 2010 at 9:31 PM  
  4. Sunny said...

    No he was really resistant to going in. He's been in Lake Michigan and the Pacific Ocean and a river but never a pool. I finally got him in by carrying him in ignoring his protests and I think he would have had fun if he would have let himself. We spun around in a circle as he held out his arm and splashed but kept saying "Let's get out and get a cookie" It's horrifying to me being from Michigan that one of my children doesn't like the water. :( I'll get him there.

  5. ... on May 17, 2010 at 10:16 AM  
  6. Kyle and Amy Brinkerhoff said...

    I need one of those.

  7. ... on May 19, 2010 at 6:54 PM