October was a busy month with Halloween festivities. Especially the week of Halloween.

Festivities started in the middle of the month when we went to South Ridge Farms in Santiquin ( also known as the Red Barn). Derek's parents were down and we made it an event.

The red barn reminded me of Robinette's, an apple orchard very close to my house in Michigan.


After a quick look in the barn we got in line to go out to the pumpkin patch on the hayride. Don't know why I though it would be free but it was fun and worth it. Here are some pictures.

Hay ride to the pumpkin patch

Five little grandparent pumpkins

Five little Tangren pumpkins




Totally staged picture...can you tell? :) He picked his pumpkin so fast we missed the photo op. That's grandpa behind us with his actual pumpkin.


Hyrum was going to be a ghost for Halloween so he had to pose here.

Running through the crate maze

I did it!!

Farm Family picture

Tractor Hyrum

Tired Hayride back to the car

Gigantic pumpkin ( they were having a pumpkin weigh off that day)


Quick side track... When my Mother in Law was here she showed me the ease of using a steam juicer that was lurking in my basement. All you do is put the grapes (stems and all) in this basket with water in a container under it.


After awhile the juice pours out this spout and she put it directly into the jars. You can pour it into a pan and cool overnight and strain to remove the sediments but we were on a schedule.


Then since the juice comes out screaming hot she just turned them upside down and the sweet little suckers sealed. :)

Another hue to my canning shelf. We mixed it with some 7 up and it made a to die for sparkling grape juice.

A couple weeks later my parents came out for the weekend of Halloween. Hyrum and I went to the dentist while I had reinforcements. Hyrum was going for his first time and did FABULOUS. I listened to him chatter on about sugar monsters being the bad guys and the foam being the good guy. And I hadn't gone for almost 9 years and had NO CAVITIES! ( Thank you fluorinated water and good genes from my dad)

Friday was the Halloween Horror Hoorah at Omnidobe (It's really known as Adobe now but this event is a hold out from the Omniture years so it doesn't feel right to call it an Adobe thing) We were really surprised that they were still doing it. I have a feeling that is nearing it's death. They almost didn't have it when someone called the executives about fire hazards and they would only allow so many people in the buildings at a time. There were security guards and lines outside around the property. They are just getting too big to do much fun anymore.


I really thought that Hyrum would get more into the Mario Kart section than he did. I think it was just too overwhelming.

BITE ME!!! :)

We realized that the camera was almost out of batteries when we got there so I didn't use the LCD screen. And this is what happens when I don't use the LCD screen

My darling son loves to play with the camera and now the lens shields don't always come and go as they should. So bummed it happened when I was taking pictures of Derek and my dad's section.


They did Mousetrap and the section my Dad and Derek worked on was the slide and they'd rigged it so tennis balls would go down then be sucked back up. Sadly by the time we got through the motor had died and it wasn't working anymore.

This is the picture I'm most bummed about being ruined. At the end they had this HUGE counter weighted cage that would raise and lower over the big tub of candy. Hyrum was literally RUNNING back and forth getting candy.

The executives area has historically had little people that Josh James the former co-founder would fly in from Las Vegas to be various characters ( munchkins, oompa loompas, 7 dwarfs, etc). Josh James left Adobe this last year but sent the little people in his stead dressed as picketers. They were all dirty dressed in rags with signs saying things like "Will work for food. ( half portions will do)"This is nothing without us" and " Do I make you feel uncomfortable" It was pretty funny. Derek said that Josh James wasn't coming but we saw him later and he ended up going through one of the buildings behind us. The executives did Sesame Street for their theme.


That night was trunk or treating at the church. We took quick pictures before we headed down.


Hyrum decided that he'd be a ghost and that I'd be a witch and he wanted Noah to be a Mummy But one day Noah was standing on my knees and leaned over and bit me on the neck for no reason and combined with his former habit of sleeping good during the day and being awake all night I thought a vampire would be a more appropriate costume. I made the costumes myself and think they turned out pretty good. :)

We hadn't carved the pumpkin we'd gotten so that was on the to do list for Saturday


Hyrum picked out the face he wanted on it ( the stuffed pumpkin beside the actual pumpkin) posed for a picture and then left me to empty the stuff out of the pumpkin while he made a candy necklace with my mom. He practiced his patterns as they made it. He's got simple patterns down.


Then Dad took over to carve the face.


My parents wanted to go to Lehi Roller Mills to get some things and we went along happily or at least Derek and I did, Hyrum not so much. We were looking around but my mom couldn't find what she wanted. Hyrum kept insisting that we go. Then all of a sudden he walked up to the mixes of Pumpkin chocolate chip cookies and said he wanted to take it home. That is Hyrum's way...you can't beat em...start shopping. He gets his affinity for shopping from my mom so I had to get a picture of the two of them.



Saturday was the normal trick or treating night in my town but JUST as prime trick or treating time came so did a storm. Strong wind, rain and hail kept us from venturing out

but while we waited Noah decided to work on some skills

He'd crawled a short distance during the day but couldn't figure out how to do it again consistently...he's since gotten better.


This is where the funny hat comes from. He tagged the costume but not his bib or hat so he wore the latter as his costume on Saturday night.

Hyrum and Derek went out trick or treating around 7 when the storm passed and stayed out for at least an hour. They came back with red noses and a LOT of candy


A good Halloween all around!




This entry was posted on Tuesday, November 02, 2010 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

2 comments:

    Jenn J. said...

    Aw. How fun! Looks like you guys had a great halloween. Fun to have family in town, and wow... HOMEMADE grape juice? I'm impressed!

  1. ... on November 4, 2010 at 4:27 PM  
  2. Wendy said...

    What a nice post.

  3. ... on November 14, 2010 at 6:53 PM