We went up to the Warriors over the Wasatch Air show in Ogden about a hour and a half away from home to kick off Memorial Day weekend. They were anticipating possibly 500,000 people coming to it. We were going up with our friends the Mejias and we wanted to get good seats together so we wanted to be there when the gates opened at 8:00. That would mean an EARLY morning for us so we decided to make it an event and use some of Derek's points to get a hotel room up in Layton.

After dinner at Burger King, where we played musical kids taking each of them to the bathroom on separate emergencies, we left there for the rest of our trip later than we were planning. As we made our way along the Wasatch front Derek gasped remembering that he was going to bring some software to his cousin Kelly on the way up. I told him that it was in the car and we were right at the exit so we got off to bring it to him. When we called we discovered that it was a mini family reunion of sorts going on so we stayed and visited for a little while and the older boys played as the little one was passed around to meet his family. Sadly no pictures were taken.

As soon as we got into the hotel room Hyrum was stripping down to get his swimsuit on. I'd forgotten Noah's swim suit but remembered a swim diaper so he was rather scantily clad but he fit right in with the rest of the swimmers there. unfortunately.


I was a little nervous about swimming with three boys so I opted to just hang with Elijah poolside and have Derek get in the pool with the other boys and then he could send any wayward boys to me if he needed to.

Hyrum has been nervous about being in the pool without being held even with his life jacket on but this time he was all about doggy paddling around solo, which was good, considering. Noah of course had no fear of just jumping right in with his swimmies. ( we really out to get him something a little more secure at some point)


Both boys had a blast and Derek handled the two of them quite well, although I guess Noah fell in while running along side the pool once. I didn't see it but we need to teach that boy a little pool safety I suppose.

The next day bright and early we were off to the show. It was only going to be in the 50s that day with a chance of rain so we bundled up. We were on base about 15 minutes after they opened the gates and we had fairly close parking. After we found our seats, which were very good, all the the boys minus Eli went off to look at the stationary planes around the area.




(Apparently Hyrum needed to use the bathroom)




(It began to loose it's allure after awhile)
They had a lot of fun

They came back when the show started with all kinds of goodies; plastic planes, cars, stickers, posters of fighter jets and spaceships. So much fun.

The plastic planes were probably the favorites. As the real planes were doing their fly bys and dog fights there was a bit of dog fighting going on down on the blanket.



Have I mentioned how well these boys like to be with each other. I swear they are practically family.


As the show went on it started to sprinkle and then it would stop. We bundled the boys on the chair together to keep them warm.


Then it started again but this time instead of stopping it started to rain harder and the wind started to blow hard. We had two adult rain coats and one child's one so we had to get creative.


It was about this time Derek asked me at what point we call it. I told him I didn't know and he went looking for some hot chocolate to warm us up.

I figured Elijah was ok cozy in the car seat under the shade canopy despite the rain, until I saw pools of water forming on it. I knew that there was only so much water canvas could contain so I threw the front part of my raincoat over the stroller and stood there trying to block the wind and rain as it soaked my pants. Then came the thunder and the rain started coming down harder. I was ready to call it then but Derek was gone and I couldn't figure any way of getting all of my boys to shelter by myself. Then the announcer came on over the loud speaker and told everyone to take cover in the hangars they'd opened to the public since there was lightning in the area. That's when I started to panic a little. When Derek got back all I said was "Let's go"

So we did.

( This doesn't even capture the misery)

Derek and I were drenched and cold. We stripped our outer layers off, turned on the heat full blast and talked about big cups of hot cocoa all the way home. We heard when we got home that after a few hours they started the show again and finished it for the faithful crowd.


We were kind of sad to have missed it, it was a good time...until the rain...maybe we'll try it again in two years. But this year...we had to bug out.


This entry was posted on Saturday, May 26, 2012 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1 comments:

    Kyle and Amy Brinkerhoff said...

    We were going to go to that but decided not to after the seeing the forecast. Way to be brave!

  1. ... on June 27, 2012 at 10:01 PM