I had been talking to my friend who has one son in the Chinese immersion program and another going into it with Hyrum and after talking to her about the fiasco she suggested that we throw a party together. So she said she'd take care of the food ( her mom is Japanese, she served in Thailand and her brother served in Hong Kong ) and I gratefully let her, and I offered to host, decorate and do a few activities.


I ran to the party store and went a little crazy. Kristie ( My friend) had brought her brother and his Native Chinese wife and their daughter (who looked adorable in a little kimono) along with her and her family.


We had long life noodles, fish (with head intact) octopus (hot dogs cut to look like octopus) fruit salad (with tofu and mandarin oranges in it) and fortune cookies. It was at the party that I discovered that fortune cookies is totally an American Chinese tradition.  Kristie's brother said that he never once saw a fortune cookie until his Dad came to pick him up from Hong Kong, then the waiters offered them, as the American tourists always expected it.  They actually started in a San Francisco Chinese restaurant and it just spread from there. And since we'd already added a little American flavor into the festivities I offered chocolate/strawberry cupcakes I'd made for one of Derek's homecomings (I'd taken to making a dessert for every time he came home from one of his business trips on the winter tour)  Strawberries became a hit at the party which I welcomed because of course they are red.

The boys played a little dragon race game that had come in the Highlights magazine. Then after dinner they were given red envelopes with chocolate coins in them ( in China the kids are given red envelopes with money in them and sometimes needed to sing for them- we learned that after the fact...next year, next year) then we finished off the festivities with party poppers ( which the kids really had a hard time doing...next year real fireworks!)

I think we've taken the bad taste out of Hyrum's mouth. Chinese New Year success!!


Until next year!


This entry was posted on Sunday, February 10, 2013 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: