As I looked at the calendar I realized that we wouldn't have a time where Derek would be able to help me with Noah's birthday party anywhere near his birthday so I decided to be brave and a little crazy and put on a party of sorts by myself. He said he wanted an Angry Birds party but wanted a Star Wars cake so it was a little eclectic. The only friends Noah said he wanted to have over was Joy and Miles so I invited the older siblings of these two who were also Hyrum's (and Noah's too) friends and did it in the morning before Hyrum headed to school.  We started off with target practice

Then they went to the table to decorate their gift bags with foam stickers.

Then I had them hit "bad piggy" balloons hung from the ceiling with soft blocks. Derek helped me by drawing the piggy faces on them. Aren't they amazing?!


Sometimes I forget my husband is an artist! 

They played this game for a very long time!

A really long time

We almost could have played this the whole time.

But we had piggy box towers to topple

They had fun with this too but we lost some of the younger crowd to other activities

Then it was time for lunch (PB&J with chips- keeping it simple)

Then it was time for our last game "The piggy stomp!"


I really thought this game would go fast. I quickly got my camera ready and they all went in different directions. Much more interested in protecting their pigs than stomping other peoples pigs.

Our last thing of course was cake


Everyone had their fill and some. As I was finding things for their gift bags I grabbed these punching balloons as an after thought.

Best. idea. ever! The party was a smashing success, I think. I have to say that I was pretty impressed with myself for being able to do it all by onesie.

But the party was not the only major event of the day. The other was...the beginning of potty training.


We had a false start sometime in January because Noah kept asking to sit on the potty after the fact (and actually managed to have a very small measure of success) and it felt silly putting on his diaper back on him after sitting on the potty. It was a half cooked try but we decided to back up an give this the proper preparation. So we decided that on his birthday the 20th he was going to be a big boy and he wasn't going to wear diapers anymore. He was only going to use the potty. We talked about it all of the time. When I changed his diapers we talked in glowing terms of when he'd be a BIG boy and not have to wear baby diapers anymore. (I kept him in the size Eli was wearing-which was small but not incredibly so) He started telling everyone who would listen about the day he would become a big boy. I was encouraged. But as the day drew near I began to wonder if he was really ready. If he really knew when he needed to go before he needed to go.  The morning of his birthday he woke up in diapers and since I had the party I decided not to push the issue. This one was going to be on him. But after all the festivities were over and Hyrum went to kindergarten he said something about potty and we read books while he sat on the potty.  After he was done sitting he said he wanted to put on his underwear, so he did.


He had two accidents afterward but it is only the first day. We'll get there, I'm sure of it. He talks a good talk anyway. We'll see how this goes.


This entry was posted on Wednesday, February 20, 2013 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 comments: