There is a woman in our ward that was just destined to be in my life. Seven years ago when I was working at Bonneville Nursery I worked with a guy named Justin. We got to be good friends and even went on a couple dates ( this was RIGHT before I started dating Derek). When I was looking for an apartment when Derek and I were getting married we looked at the apartment that Justin's sister Teresa was moving out of. We now live in that same apartment . They moved into a house nearby still in our ward . For the months and years after ward when we still got their mail I would bring them to her at church and find out how Justin was doing. Time went on and I noticed that her husband was using a cane which quickly developed into a wheelchair. We wondered what happened. He had had MS (Multiple Sclerosis) since he'd been 16 without much outward signs of it but as is sometimes the case with this unpredictable disease it had suddenly accelerated. About a year later I was assigned to be her visiting teacher. I was made aware in small measure to the challenges they faced on a daily basis but they never let it get them down. She was pregnant with her fourth little boy when I started visiting teaching her .

Then this last November we were emailed a link to this.

I then began to understand all that they deal with so cheerfully. I was excited that someone was trying to help them. I wasn't able to talk with her since they found out on Christmas Eve. Today(yeah I know the END of the month) I went to visit teach her and she showed me the plans for the addition. It's going to be great! I don't know if it happens in other states as much but it seems some people in Utah don't wait around for others to help, they just dive in themselves and make things happen. There have been quite a few Extreme Makeover Neighbor Friends and Family editions here. I think it's great and wish I had the courage and determination to do the same. At least on this one I could maybe help out. We are really excited for work to begin this spring. If you have any inclination you can stop back to the website in the spring to see the progress. I'm sure pictures will be posted.



This entry was posted on Wednesday, January 30, 2008 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

4 comments:

    Nikki said...

    That is a great example of Christlike love and service. I hope they get what they need to make life a little easier.

  1. ... on January 31, 2008 at 8:55 AM  
  2. Holly said...

    With as many people in need as there are, it is nice when friends can step up and help out. MS is a terrible disease and I am sorry they have to go through this! I guess it's better to do something rather than to just feel sorry, huh? That is really cool!

  3. ... on February 1, 2008 at 9:45 AM  
  4. Binne77 said...

    Wow...what a great thing going on in AF!

  5. ... on February 3, 2008 at 7:41 PM  
  6. Pam said...

    This is an inspiring story about hope in the face of adversity and also the love and compassion of friends and neighbors. It is a Christ centered life in action. I pray for their support and comfort. Thanks for sharing.

  7. ... on February 3, 2008 at 9:52 PM