I haven't posted for a while (crazy busy!), but today I received a check in the mail and thought I should share a fun little website that I found called MissingMoney.com. It checks to see if the government owes you any money and then helps you find the forms you need to fill out to claim your money. Old tax return refunds that you might never have received, long lost uncles having left you money in their will that is in control of the state, etc. I happened across it a couple of months ago and, just for kicks and giggles, decided to see if the government owed me any money.

You put in your name and the state where you live (or have lived) and it searches government public records of unclaimed property. Came to find out that the State of Idaho owed me money from an old tax refund that they never sent me. It typically doesn't disclose the amount (although mine disclosed that it was under $100), and then walks you through getting the state forms to send in to claim your moolah.

So, I sent in the forms and today got my check for $97.31. It was a pleasant surprise! Go check it out an see if the government has any of your money.


This entry was posted on Tuesday, March 11, 2008 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

2 comments:

    Kelly said...

    /me heads off to see if they have any of my money. :) Congrats Derek! You rock!

  1. ... on March 12, 2008 at 9:24 AM  
  2. Nikki said...

    Cool. I didn't find any money owed to me, but I found my mother in law's name!

  3. ... on March 15, 2008 at 10:17 PM