Derek grabs his guitar from it's case in the corner and sits down on the couch to practice. Hyrum hearing the thumping of the guitar against Derek's leg perks up. He drops to the ground and makes a beeline to the couch pulls himself up and stands there eyes full of anticipation and a huge smile on his face. Then he reaches for the strings.

Derek stops, puts the pick in Hyrum's hand and makes a chord. Hyrum is now all business as his hand is helped to strum the chord.

Maybe it's good that Derek hasn't played the guitar for very long. Maybe if he had been playing for a long time he'd be more alarmed when Hyrum grabs at and pulls the nylon strings out of tune.

Maybe it's good that his own excitement for learning to play the guitar hasn't faded yet so that he relishes the opportunity to share what little he knows about the guitar with his son and shares his enthusiasm to strum the strings.

Hyrum has loved the sound of the guitar since birth and maybe even before as Derek would often play for him in the womb. Nothing calms him like guitar music. I'm sure Hyrum is not unique in his passion for all things guitar. Most babies are intrigued by adult toys but this is one passion I hope he never loses. His affinity for putting plugs in his mouth, digging through garbage, pulling CDs onto the floor and sucking on the bottoms of shoes can go.


This entry was posted on Wednesday, March 05, 2008 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

2 comments:

    Nikki said...

    very sweet. :)

  1. ... on March 7, 2008 at 11:26 AM  
  2. Binne77 said...

    Very cute. It probably won't go away. Daniel has asked for a guitar about once a week since he was 4. Clara has started asking for a Banjo (I know!) recently. Looks like my children are southern bred. ;-p

    Sunny can you do me a favor and send me your email again? Dan reformatted my harddrive..fixed my comp and I forgot to back that up. I have a new private blog, just for me that I want to invite you to read. THANKS!

  3. ... on March 11, 2008 at 9:53 AM