This morning very early my grandpa Harold passed peacefully away. He was a quiet man worked for his living at a GM plant in Michigan, loved sports and although they argued from time to time, loved my grandmother very much. In his passing those are the moments I remember most. Them holding hands. I remember being at their house and having a prayer, I can't remember now why, and as they knelt down together my grandmother grabbed my grandfathers hands and held them through the prayer. It looked like something that had become a habit of years and years together. A tradition of love and connection. I heard that in his pain he would get agitated when anyone got close or touched him. My grandmother pulled the reclining chair as close to the bed as she could and held his hand as they both slept. How grateful I am that the connection has not been broken with his death.

This week on the Today show I guess the news anchors have been finding their "roots" by tracing their family histories. One of the hosts had been surprised to find out that her grandfather had been a minister. It was surprising to me that she didn't know anything about her grandfather. I guess in this disjointed far flung world I should count myself lucky to have grown up in the presence and influence of all of my grandparents. I do feel lucky. I wish that for my children too.



This entry was posted on Friday, August 29, 2008 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

6 comments:

    Harrisons said...

    So sorry Sunny. Are you going to be able to go to the funeral?

  1. ... on August 29, 2008 at 1:26 PM  
  2. Nikki said...

    perfect Sun. I love it. I just stole these 2 pictures for the slideshow. :)

  3. ... on August 29, 2008 at 10:39 PM  
  4. Jeannie said...

    I did hear about this. I'm sorry for the loss and for your family's time of grieving. Celia and I are planning on attending the funeral, if she lets me. (she's teething and learning to walk at the same time!) Love you!!!

  5. ... on August 31, 2008 at 8:13 AM  
  6. Dave said...

    Sweet memories blog each of you (also Nikki & Holly) have posted. The stories and tender mercies that have accompanied this event have touched us all. How we are so blessed. How grateful we must be for the love.

  7. ... on September 1, 2008 at 6:46 PM  
  8. Leanne said...

    Very sweet post Sunny. I love that your Grandpa felt it was a good thing to hold hands with your Grandma despite some pain and agitation.

    He was a nice man. I'm sorry for your loss and I'll keep you in my prayers.

  9. ... on September 2, 2008 at 8:09 PM  
  10. Kendall and Melissa said...

    I'm so sorry. It sounds like he lived a wonderful and full life. I hope you can attend the funeral. It is so good you got pictures of Hyrum with him.

  11. ... on September 4, 2008 at 1:04 PM