I grew up in Michigan. The pleasant peninsula. Land of Ten Thousand Lakes. (ok so that's technically Minnesota but we're just across the lake to them and we have a heck of a lot of lakes) We have the longest freshwater coastline in America if not the world, so obviously I grew up never worrying about water. Never gave a second thought about pouring my unused water down the drain or leaving the water running when I was brushing my teeth ( I know, stone me now) spraying off the driveway or taking really long showers. We could even pull water out of the air! Then I moved to Utah, the second driest state in the nation, and got an education. I started pouring my unused water into plants and never down the drain. I heard lecture after lecture about water wise plants and conservation efforts. Every winter we pray for snow so that the reservoirs will be filled in the spring. But even with this education I heard a story the other day that struck me as a little extreme.

A major car dealership in Utah was collecting rain water to use in their car wash to limit the water they are taking out of the coffers. Sounds like a good idea right? Very environmentally aware to try having a green car wash, right? Well not so much because apparently collecting water to use, even in your own yard...is AGAINST THE LAW in Utah!

Am I the only one who is a bit shocked by this?

In a related story it's really warm in Utah these days and we've been trying to stay cool with a little spray bottle. Hyrum is starting to get the hang of it now too and loves to get Mom and Dad.




But turn around is fair play right?



This entry was posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

3 comments:

    Nikki said...

    What a cutie! Can't wait to see him this week! Jackson keeps telling us to get in the car and go to Hyrum's house... and tonight he was calling Hyrum on his phone.
    I'm the same way about water... Gotta work on that.

  1. ... on August 25, 2008 at 11:51 PM  
  2. Unknown said...

    I'm still laughing.

  3. ... on August 27, 2008 at 9:03 AM  
  4. Brei said...

    I love that last video of Hy! He looks so surprised and yet he keeps doing it. Kids are the greatest! And I'm so sorry to hear about your grandfather. Grandparents are wonderful and it's great when they get to be around for the greatgrandkids. Hope to see you guys soon!

  5. ... on September 1, 2008 at 9:56 AM