When we moved to the house we converted the crib to a toddler bed since we had it taken completely apart anyway. We figured we might as well get him used to the new bed while he gets used to the new house. Two birds with one stone right? Well that is a decision we are coming to regret. Hyrum used to be so easy to put to bed and it took a lot of work and time so that he'd be that way. We'd just hold him in our arms and sing to him then put him in his crib and walk out. He would roll over and go to bed.

Then I went to Michigan for 6 weeks then when we got home we moved. His sleep schedule has been off the charts. He's long since been trying to dump the nap and now if he does take a nap he's soo hard to get to sleep at night. Not to mention now we have to stay in the room until he's good and asleep. I've caught him sleep walking more than once and I've walked into his room to see this
One of the techniques that we've used to try to help him go to sleep has been having him run. If he is just too wiggly after trying to get him to go to sleep we'll have him run around the couch and if he stops he goes to bed. Well that's back fired on us too. Now as we get him ready for bed he screams "RUN!" We've had some suggest that we give him a warm bath before bed...but that doesn't always calm him down. I have video of him streaking around the house but I've decided that he'd kill me later on in life if I posted that. Although I might change my mind.

So what do you think, is it too late to put the crib back up?


This entry was posted on Tuesday, April 28, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

7 comments:

    Jenn J. said...

    Hold up that white flag and surrender, Sunny. You already know my feelings about kids in cribs, so I'm sure you wouldn't expect me to respond any other way. :) I say cut your losses and put the crib back up. You have years ahead of you to fight him to stay in bed. For now, cage him back up and enjoy it while you can! ;)

  1. ... on April 28, 2009 at 11:19 PM  
  2. Autumn said...

    We've transitioned all our kids out of cribs before they were 2. Personally I think cribs are more hassle than they're worth. But if he was content in the crib, I say go for it. Or maybe take down the crib all together and just have a mattress (either the crib or get a twin) on the floor so it's a little less exciting. We also don't keep any toys accessible to them in their room, so there isn't a lot of distraction during nap/bedtime.

  3. ... on April 29, 2009 at 8:37 AM  
  4. Harrisons said...

    Have you tried any Lavendar essential oil? I'm not one to jump on this band wagon but I've heard it works. I have some you can have if you get up this way again. My vote is to just take the whole bed down and put the mattress on the floor. We did that just this week and then we'll replace it with a twin mattress which will eventually go up on a bed. It takes a few months and you feel a little white trash but it worked for us to teach our kids not to fall out of bed.

  5. ... on April 29, 2009 at 2:34 PM  
  6. Three Men and a Janie said...

    So... here's my opinion on this... we put Mac in a big boy bed about 8 months ago. And we are still fighting him every night. And he won't take naps anymore. It is AWFUL with a capital A. Put him back in that crib! (Can you tell I have strong feelings about this?) And now I can't put Mac back in the crib because our new baby is in there. Come to think of it, I COULD buy another crib... not a bad idea... :) Good luck!

  7. ... on April 30, 2009 at 9:50 PM  
  8. Nikki said...

    "Hyrum used to be so easy to put to bed and it took a lot of work and time so that he'd be that way."

    Guess what? You gotta do it all over again. New sleeping situation, new training. Doesn't matter if it's now or 2 years down the road. It'll come. I like SuperNanny's bedtime routine. It even works for Jackson! First night or 2 is a bear, but it doesn't take too long for the kids to get the idea.

  9. ... on May 1, 2009 at 12:02 PM  
  10. Brei said...

    DON'T GO BACK! As hard as it is, you're already there working on it and it'll be easier to keep going than to have to do it all over again (cause you will). We put Kyle's crib mattress on the floor and no toys around to play with. Now he opts to sleep on the floor half the time anyway, but that's one less bed to make! As for naps, Kyle outgrew those around Hy's age, so he has quiet time instead which is just fine for me cause then he's tired enough at night to sleep. I love the running, though! You guys are hilarious! Good luck!

  11. ... on May 1, 2009 at 1:21 PM  
  12. Kendall and Melissa said...

    When I had trouble I would just make sure that there weren't toys or things for them to get hurt on in the room and shut the door. Eventually the kids realize that they just have to go to bed. It took a couple of days of them being tired and sleeping on the floor next to the door, and then everything was fine. It's just like when you get them used to going to sleep on their own. Rough at first, but you'll be glad you did it!

  13. ... on May 12, 2009 at 9:47 AM