Last Friday (Oct 19th) Derek's parents came down from Idaho for the day.. They've done these trips three or four times since Hyrum's birth. They leave Idaho in the morning and get down here around 10:30-11:00 am then stay until 2 and drive back. That is a seven hour car ride for a four hour visit. It always amazes me that they would drive so much for such a small visit. It makes me wonder how many times we could have gone up there on a weekend but haven't because it was such a long drive for such a short time to be there. How much time do I waste or opportunities do I not take because I don't think I have enough time to do it or simply don't get myself together enough to get out of the house? I need to be better.

Derek's mom of course came bearing gifts. She needs to be careful or he's going to come to expect that every time she comes. She brought him some spongy fabric covered blocks and a hammer that makes all kinds of noises and lights up when you hammer something. She put some of the blocks in his lap and left the rest in the package off to one side. Hyrum looked at the blocks then at her then at the clear plastic bag with the rest of the blocks then back at his Grandma with this look on his face that CLEARLY said "Grandma, why are you holding out on me? I know there are more blocks. Put them in my lap too." Neither she nor I could resist that face and dumped the rest of the blocks in his lap that he played with very happily. I wish we would have had some video footage of it because it was classic.



They were nervous about getting back over the pass before a rain storm came that was going to be turning to snow at 6,000 feet. They played and we went out to lunch and the left. Hyrum sure loves to see his grandpa and grandma.

It was a beautiful day last Friday low 70's and sunshine. We decided to soak up as much sunshine and warmth we could and spent hours outside in the courtyard watching cars and playing. When Derek got home he joined us. I wanted to get some pictures of Hyrum in the autumn sunshine. Here are some of my favorites.

Hyrum and a fun Fall leaf. We really need to find a pile of leaves to toss him in. He'd love it!


Do you notice the advanced finger sucking skills my son has? Yeah I've pretty much given up on trying to stop it. I'll worry about it when he's dating. I'm pretty sure it will stop before then. In the meantime I'll save for braces.

This was my attempt at an artsy picture. If only I had my sister Holly's picture altering skills and could make everything black and white except for the leaf. One of the reasons I wanted to take advantage of the beautiful day is that there were rumors that snow may be coming the next day...


This entry was posted on Friday, October 26, 2007 and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

2 comments:

    Nikki said...

    You keep the pacifier away from him long enough he'll turn to the fingers! :) What a cute man!

  1. ... on October 28, 2007 at 6:51 PM  
  2. Sunny said...

    We never kept the pacifier away. He won't take it anymore!

  3. ... on October 28, 2007 at 9:52 PM