My sweet Husband relented to my pleadings for a cheap Valentines day this year. We are trying like crazy to save for a house. Which if love is in the air with Derek getting his Wii then Love is in the air with me saving for and dreaming of a house. We all have our loves! :) So we agreed that we would only spend $20 each on Valentines day TOTAL!! And that was even pushing it if you asked me, :) So this year we focused on meaning rather than money.

Derek loves to get me flowers. He has ever since we started dating. I had fresh flowers in my house for the first few months of us dating without fail. So he did get me roses ( yellow- he always has to get me at LEAST one yellow flower) and four boxes of conversation hearts. My Dad always got each of us girls a heart box or a little cardboard box of conversation hearts growing up until we got married ( then it was our husbands job) Even when I was on my mission my Dad sent me a box of conversation hearts- and Derek did his job this year. Since the flowers weren't arranged I got to do it which was really fun for me.
I got him a box of Turtles that I got on a really great deal complete with coupon :)and a card offering him wii points or money towards wii play or a wii controler ( which is more for me so we can play together :D) Then we had french bread pizzas and Martinellis by candle light with Harry Connick Jr playing in the back ground and let me tell you it was WAY more romantic than any restaurant we would wait in line for 2 hours for. The french bread pizzas by candle light has a special place in our hearts because that is what we did on our first Valentines day married. In the morning we'd taken BOTH our cars to the shop Derek dropped me off at work and just waited for one to get done to go to school. We didn't get paid until that day so we didn't have any money to get each other anything so we bought french bread pizzas on sale and ate them by candle light and danced in the kitchen to Harry Connick Jr. So we paid homage to that first Valentines Day married with out first Valentines day with Hyrum.
Hyrum REALLY liked the candles and really got into eating his Cheerios that he's working on getting used to. He ate a whole tray full before he gagged and threw up. He's really getting better at this...promise!

That evening before we went to bed we read "I Like You" a cute little book that I got for Derek on our very first Valentines day...the day we got engaged. At the time I was kinda embarrassed that we got engaged on Valentines day. It was so cliche and over done but now it's kind of fun because we can relive that day over and over again through things we did on that day being repeated. There are elements from that day that are ALWAYS a part of our Valentines day celebration. Paper hearts ( I put paper hearts all over his car) Hershey's kisses and heart breakers ( I left those in his car to find) Yellow flowers ( he left a yellow and red rose along the scavenger hunt he put me on that night) and reading I Like You. Ahh memories! So fun!


I hope all of your Valentines Day's were wonderful!


This entry was posted on Friday, February 15, 2008 and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

5 comments:

    Nikki said...

    Very cute post! Nice romantic evening for you! You should write the whole engagement story in a post. :)
    Fun to see Hyrum in his high chair- so grown up!

    What's the sticker on the Martinelli's bottle?

    With your extreme efforts in saving pennies... 50* in your apartment??!!... you'll be in that house before you know it!

  1. ... on February 15, 2008 at 8:12 PM  
  2. Dave said...

    Sweet! I love it. Making and reliving memories are a special way to connect with a loved one.
    I just love Valentine's Day.

  3. ... on February 16, 2008 at 7:01 PM  
  4. Dave said...

    BTW - "Less is More", as Derek will probably know, is a design philosophy that can work well in other aspects of our lives. Think about it.
    I like trying to make new memories as much as re-living earlier memories - and it DOESN'T need to be expensive, or even cost anything.

  5. ... on February 16, 2008 at 7:23 PM  
  6. Jenn J. said...

    Some of our best Valentine's Days have been ones spent at home. I remember the Valentine's Day when Derek proposed. That was so cute, and I was so excited for you guys. I'm glad you guys had a nice romantic evening and were able to relive memories of the past. Those are always the best nights! :)

  7. ... on February 19, 2008 at 7:13 PM  
  8. Angie said...

    Very sweet. Good luck with the home shopping and purchase but especially with the packing and unpacking!! Hyrum looks like he's liking those cheerios!!

  9. ... on February 21, 2008 at 1:32 PM