I love to watch seeds sprout. It is one of my all time favorite things about gardening watching life pop out of the ground in cute little seedlings. It's nice to have instant garden with buying plants especially with our relatively short growing season but there really is something to be said for planting the seeds yourself.

We went up to the garden at the beginning of this week to water since our hosts were on a much needed vacation to Hawaii so we decided to take pictures of the garden while we were there. I was watering the tomatoes and asked Derek to take some pictures of the lettuce. His pictures make our lettuce look huge and lush. Kinda makes it look like we'll be having garden salads next week.
Amazing huh!! These are from the seeds I planted on my birthday. They really are only about an inch tall...if that.
These are from the seeds we planted about a week later. I've never done lettuce before. I'm excited that they are doing so well. I just hope they don't fry before they ever get going. It was in the 90's here at the beginning of the week. Of course now it's in the 50's. There may be some hope for them yet.

Sadly our peas have not fared as well. Out of the 55 seeds we planted only 15 came up. The seeds were older ( from my single years ) and I think they had been damaged (there was a big black mark on the package and a hole as well). We'll just have to plant some more in the fall.

I was so excited to see my new friends sprouting that I ran off to buy more seeds. Even though I vowed to never condemn plants to swelter and scorch on my blazing south facing concrete porch I planted arugula and basil, I just couldn't contain myself. They are doing beautifully! So far anyway.

When we started the garden our gracious hosts insisted that they needed to put up the baby swing for the swing set they had getting dusty in their garage. We persisted that they didn't need to do that but they did anyway and Hyrum LOVES IT!!! We didn't get a baby swing when Hyrum was born figureing we had a bouncy chair and that would be enough so this swinging was some of the first swinging he's ever done in his life...He's a fan! He was tired when we went up so he's not as excited as he usually is. This swing has been a life saver because it's in the shade and facing the garden so he can swing in shaded coolness as I do my puttering in the garden. He lets me know when he needs a push. He especially loves it when you pull the swing up towards you and let it go. He loves the anticipation.
Until next time... Happy gardening! How does your garden grow?


This entry was posted on Friday, May 23, 2008 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

4 comments:

    Harrisons said...

    Thanks to Sunny, my garden is growing quite well ;)

  1. ... on May 23, 2008 at 10:08 PM  
  2. Nikki said...

    my garden is still dirt. maybe I can fix that on Monday.

  3. ... on May 24, 2008 at 6:08 PM  
  4. Dave said...

    Well, we're back home - there seems to be some promise of no more freezes this season - and we have a holiday monday - so maybe.....

  5. ... on May 25, 2008 at 3:53 PM  
  6. Binne77 said...

    yeah, my garden is still um, not working. :-) By that I mean, We still haven't started on anything but our fruit trees!

  7. ... on May 26, 2008 at 7:57 PM