Well today is my mom's birthday and I really have been thinking about the post I wanted to do for a long time and now here it is at 10:00 and I don't have much time to do it justice but a sub spectacular post is better than none at all so here we go...

This time I will do 14 things I love and admire about my mom because it's the 14th of May.

1. I love how she just connects with people. She can talk to anyone and really get to the essence of who they are. They really feel her love and interest in them and they respond accordingly. I love that about her and I wish I could be more like that.

2. I love the way she is an eternal cheerleader. I remember growing up how she would instantly become an expert on whatever you were interested in and coached you the best she could and cheered you on when you did whatever you were doing. I really try to cheer everyone I can.

3. I love the fact that she gets so into the holidays. I remember growing up that she would always bring home the green bread for St. Patrick's Day, and the red white and blue braided bread for the fourth of July. She was a sucker for the festive foods and now so am I.

4. I love that she is such an incredible grandma, Mema, Nana,( we haven't decided yet) to our son. Of course she's a fabulous grandma to all of the grandkids, but she doesn't forget Hyrum even though he's far away and just little.
5. I love that whatever she does she does it all of the way. She doesn't do anything half way. Every time she has a calling she seems to set a new standard for the calling. She makes everything she does her own. She does everything so well. I try every day to do likewise.

6. I love the fact that she's always pushing me to try different things. I'm a comfort zone person and I don't really like change but she was always good at bringing me the leopard print bras and convincing me to chop my hair off and try something different.

7. I'm so glad that she didn't kill me when I was younger and didn't leave me in a store either. I was a holy terror in my younger years. I'd scream bloody murder and roll around on the floor and under clothes racks and jewelry counters. I'd refuse to be punished so she'd have to put me in my room and hold the door while I screamed cried and pounded on the door. And through all of that she still claimed me and loved me. Nothing could calm me down like being hugged tight...That still works.

8. I love that she shares a bit of my passion for family history and shares her finds with me when she gets them.

9. I love that she taught me how to knit. It has become a passion of mine ( when I have time to do it) and has been the means of fun homemade Christmas gifts.

10. I love the holiday traditions she has made sure to pass down to us. It has made the holidays more meaningful and helped me to feel like I'm at home when I'm so far away.

11. I love that she always takes the time to talk to me even when I'm asking silly questions about an uncle when she's busy out of her mind at work.

12. I love that she's taught all of us girls to be strong women. But she's also shown us by example how to love your man.

13. I love that she never complains when we always seem to gather for my dad's events and seem to have her help us for her events. We owe her big for so many things but this one I've just been thinking a lot about lately because she came out to help me with my son when he was born last year during Mother's Day and her birthday. I will never forget that. Thanks mom.


14. I love that she's always in fashion. Her taste is impeccable, yet she never criticizes that I have clothes that I wore in high school. Although she keeps telling me that every shirt or sweater that I get has to replace an old one ( meaning the old one needs to go away)

15. I love that she's kept in touch with her college roommates and still gets together with them. She really is a life long friend. She is loyal and stays in touch even without a blog.

16. I love that she is so level headed. She never gets too ruffled about anything and keeps her cool.

17. I love that she always taught me to look at both sides of any situation and every decision. It would drive me crazy when I was making decisions but she has taught me the value of carefully considering both sides before walking forward. It has served me well and has helped me to make good choices throughout my life.

Look at that I've gone and done 17. I could do so many more but at the end of the day I love that she's my mom. She is an incredible example to me and I want to be much more like her.

I LOVE YOU MOM!!! Happy Birthday!


This entry was posted on Wednesday, May 14, 2008 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

3 comments:

    Binne77 said...

    Yes, I will agree...your mom is pretty cool. :-) I have fond memories of her and I am not even related!

  1. ... on May 15, 2008 at 9:20 AM  
  2. Nikki said...

    Very nice post Sun. You did a nice job for a nice mom. :) HOw nice is she that she spent her birthday and vacation caring for my 4 littles?! Well... I'm off to the beach! :)

  3. ... on May 16, 2008 at 8:33 PM  
  4. Jenn J. said...

    What a great mom! :) Cute post, Sunny.

  5. ... on May 20, 2008 at 9:43 AM