Just a quick update on the garden. We had our first sugar snap peas this last week. We probably won't get many this year so we are excited for every last one we get. I took some pictures of the garden finally this time. We went up early in the morning since it's been in the mid- to high ninet all this week and we wanted to get a jump on the heat.

These are my pride and joy. Three different varieties of tomatoes and seven in all (2)Early girl, (2)Celebrity, and (3)Super Fantastic. They've ALL done beautifully so far. Only a few actual tomatoes but just full of blossoms. I'd better get educated on canning quick.
Don't be too impressed with me they were two feet tall and some even had tomatoes on them when I bought them. (We took the tomatoes off though when we planted them of course, and planted them as deep as we could)
This gives you a visual on how tall they are. Hyrum was nearly 30 inches when he went in for his one year appointment a month and a half ago. You can also see a few green tomatoes to the left of him.

I did get some heirloom tomatoes this year and I'm excited to see what they are like. (they are in a different part of the garden) I've heard so much about them and it feels like true gardening to get into heirloom plants. I am SO going to save the best seeds and see what we come up with. :) I also tried purple sweet peppers. I can't wait to see what they are like. These two vegetables are my test varieties this year. I plan to try a new variety or new veggie every year and document how I like them.

Now before you go thinking that despite my disclaimer on the tomatoes I'm an incredible gardener look at this.












The first picture is of our host's carrots zoomed out and the second is our sad little carrots zoomed in. I think we have 5 or 6 plants that have survived.

So we wait patiently for the first 8 tomatoes so we can make our delicious Olive Garden dish and see if it tastes the same. :) The basil is already ready!


This entry was posted on Sunday, June 29, 2008 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1 comments:

    Nikki said...

    You are SO in your element Sun. I'm glad you've had so much luck finding garden space! The tomato plants are HUGE!! So is Hyrum!! :)

  1. ... on June 29, 2008 at 9:56 PM