When Derek's family was down here two weeks ago they brought down a little tiller along with everything else to get us a garden spot. Since our backyard is unfinished we decided to use as much of the back yard as we thought possible and make spots in lots of places to know where it would be best to put the garden. I have an idea where I want it but if things don't grow well there then we need another plan.
Digging in! Consider these the BEFORE pictures. As you can see I couldn't be bothered to wait for the tiller to put in my peas, lettuce, carrots, onions and broccoli.
You can also see our random pit in the middle of the yard. We found a window well cover in the yard after the snow melted that fit NONE of our window wells so when we emptied the pit of it's bricks cinder blocks and trash we used it to cover our pit. Lovely! We still haven't decided exactly what to do with it. But we'll probably break down the bricks to a foot or so below the soil and then fill up the remainder of the pit with rocks and then put dirt over it so if it had a purpose (like drainage) then we'll still be ok but when we put grass and sprinkler system in someday it won't be in the way.
We all got to try out the little tiller. It was so fun! It was a very different than the rather harrowing experiance I had with a huge, jerking, drag you all over the yard tiller in school. I think I may need one someday. That way no matter where I go I can always have a garden. :)
Here is my mostly planted garden! ( I also have sunflowers and a pumpkin planted on the other side of the yard) That's four different varieties of corn in the foreground, 15 tomatoes by the white fence, melons and squash over in the square by the wooden fence and 9 peppers between them. Honestly I wish we'd planted more. I think I'll have a lot of sharing, freezing and canning to do this year. I'm going to be a little sad when I don't have the entire yard as my garden. I should have been a farmer.


This entry was posted on Saturday, May 30, 2009 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

4 comments:

    Nikki said...

    That is one random back yard! :) You should be a farmer. Maybe that'll be the next house- a farm house with acreage.
    I can see how you could have a nice raised garden all along the back fence- then Hyrum could have a little yard to play in.

  1. ... on June 1, 2009 at 9:33 AM  
  2. Sunny said...

    Yep as long as everything grows well back there that's where I want it. I probably won't be able to do corn when we finish the back yard so I'm stocking up now! :)

  3. ... on June 1, 2009 at 3:15 PM  
  4. Holly said...

    That is SOME GARDEN!!! (Said like the guy in Charlotte's Web) :) I love Derek's hat too. WIll he be bringing that to Disney World in Dec? ;)

  5. ... on June 7, 2009 at 11:15 PM  
  6. Pam said...

    You have certainly become a farmer! I am amazed at all you have planted. I think you will be very busy around August. If things get tough, I'm moving in with you. That's where all the food will be. :) It kind of reminds me of the North Park garden. We are so proud.

  7. ... on June 12, 2009 at 8:18 PM