We traveled Idaho for Thanksgiving this year. The car ride was a little different as Sunny sat in the back trying to keep Hyrum from sleeping (otherwise he'd never sleep that night) or coughing up and throwing up gunk from his throat. Yes he's still got that nasty cough. We were able to keep him awake until his bed time but were not able to avoid a mess down the front of him. Poor guy! We tried to keep him asleep when we got there but with Grandma and Grandpa and Uncle buzzing around he woke up and had a tough time getting him back to sleep. The next morning he met Blossom Derek's family dog.

I'm not sure if he knew what to think of her at first but by the time the visit ended Hyrum was reaching for the dog and smiling. Derek's family says Hyrum needs a dog but I says he doesn't. I'm sure before I die I will loose this battle but that won't stop me from fighting. I get nervous around dogs, I hate the hair and didn't grow up in a dog family but I married into one so I'm in for the fight of my life.

In his third outfit of the day ( after throwing up on the second ) we got him ready for his first Thanksgiving dinner with help from my parents who sent him this adorable bib.


He really had no idea what was coming. We decided that since he'd been doing well with cereal for about a month now that we'd try something a little different. So we sat him in his chair and gave him just a little mashed up potato. A potato is perfect right it's pretty tasteless (without butter or salt) and bland with a natural smooth texture, plus it's a great Thanksgiving day food.

I don't even think he closed his mouth...he just made all kinds of horrible faces and then came the gag face and up came everything in his stomach on to the perfect bib. Granted I probably should have mashed it up more and maybe diluted it a bit but I really didn't expect this. He does so well with cereal even when it's really thick. I'm sure the fact that he was sick and prone to throwing up as it was didn't help. I guess we'll just have to wait a bit longer for potatoes.

After dinner we called my family on the webcam so that they could see him. Most of my family hadn't seen him since he was 2 1/2 months old. It was great fun to see them and Hyrum enjoyed all of the attention. He's just barely getting to understand this webcam stuff.

As is tradition in my family we got a newspaper and sifted through the ads to know what good deals to go after the next day. And the next morning Derek and I were out on the streets at the crack of 9 am to get what was miraculously left of the deals. People think I'm crazy for going out shopping the day after thanksgiving but in my defense it's not all that bad in Idaho Falls (especially when we get ourselves out the door) and it's one of the only times Derek helps me shop and make decisions on gifts for people. Gift getting has become my responsibility and with my decision making skills it's nice to have someone to help and bounce ideas off of. Plus this year our shopping trip also heralded the first time Derek and I were out together...ALONE!! Grandma had Hyrum all to herself for two hours until she had to be at work. A first for all!

The rest of the weekend was filled with resting lounging and playing. Derek has gotten what Hyrum is trying to get rid of so it was a pretty low key weekend. Except for the BYU game on Saturday. GO COUGS!! We all got decked out in our BYU gear and WATCHED the game. (for the first time in two seasons)

All in all we are just increasingly grateful for our wonderful families and the health that is fleeting with my boys these days. I am definately grateful that I have an iron clad immune system. (knock on wood) Hyrum just is grateful for all of the attention he got this weekend. We sure are grateful for him.



This entry was posted on Monday, November 26, 2007 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

6 comments:

    Nikki said...

    Happy Thanksgiving! We enjoyed seeing you on the webcam. JackJack cracked me up- trying to kiss Hyrum. Sure bet Derek's family was glad to have you there- wish you'd been in GR!

  1. ... on November 28, 2007 at 12:09 AM  
  2. Jeannie said...

    oh, what a bummer! not looking forward to celia's first sickness!!

  3. ... on November 28, 2007 at 12:52 PM  
  4. Kelly said...

    I can relate to the Dog thing... I married into a dog family and stalled it for 8 years... Couldn't last any further. Poodles don't shed, we've got a mini and they're just right for the little kids.

    Hope Hyrum gets feeling better! Enjoy the holidays!

  5. ... on November 28, 2007 at 7:21 PM  
  6. Binne77 said...

    Sounds as though you had a nice time. Happy Thanksgiving...and I hope everyone else is feeling better.

  7. ... on November 29, 2007 at 12:59 PM  
  8. Angie said...

    Such a cutie... even with a bad cough. I hope he gets better soon!

  9. ... on November 30, 2007 at 9:54 AM  
  10. Holly said...

    How could he be related to us if he dosen't like potatoes?!? What a little cutie! I can't wait to see him at christmas! (YOu are coming, right? JUst kidding... :) Love you guys!

  11. ... on December 1, 2007 at 4:26 PM