On Saturday night we had one of the BEST nights! We got an invitation a couple weeks ago for a graduation party for Derek's first cousins once removed (trust me it took a very long conversation with Derek and ultimately a google search to figure out what exactly the relationship was-long story short it's Derek's aunt's grandkids) I'd never met most of this side of the family and Derek only remembers meeting them in a crowded and chaotic airport on his way to Germany for the mission. The only picture taken of the event was dark so that no faces were clear. I'd ask different questions and he had no answers. His aunt is twenty some years older than his dad so his cousins feel more like aunts and uncles.

We got to the door feeling a little out of place and conspicuous or at least I did. But as soon as the door was opened there were people here and there saying "Oh it's Derek! Come here I want you to meet Derek Tangren and his wife who is Grandma's nephew. This is Kim's son." We felt completely surrounded by long lost family. And the best part was they felt like long lost FAMILY!!! I'd been to family reunions on my grandmothers (or was it grandfathers) side when I was little and everyone just felt like strangers. I guess part of that was because I was young and wanted what I was familiar with. Given my own experience, I so pleasantly surprised at the warm reception that night.

Throughout the evening we chatted with cousins and first cousins once removed and first cousins twice removed (trust me I've really been studying this). It felt less like "getting to know" and more like "catching up". We exchanged addresses, phone numbers, email addresses and blog addresses. We began to plan cousin barbecues and get-togethers. And when we left there were hugs and promises to keep in better touch...and I really think we will.

I guess that's why my heart is in family history. That's why it's my passion. That's why I'm so drawn to getting information about who people were and what they were like. I imagine that heaven will be like this. A big graduation party where we all first stand around making introductions then just catching up. The connection will have already made in life through time spent and histories read. We will know each other as family! Because we are. No matter what the title.

You know me I had to get pictures! If for no other reason than to know who goes with which family.

This is us and Derek's Aunt Hallie. Hyrum is named after her father.

This is Hallie's son Keven's Family. (and Aunt Hallie)
This is Hallie's son Kelly's family. They have the graduates that made this reunion possible.

We are so excited for this renewed familiarity with Derek's family and are looking forward to catching up for years to come.


This entry was posted on Sunday, April 27, 2008 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

7 comments:

    Dave said...

    How amazing is that! The perspective you gave of family history and it's eternal perspective is profound. Thanks for sharing!

  1. ... on April 28, 2008 at 9:07 PM  
  2. Sunny said...

    I was going to put this on the "Small plates" But I wanted our cousins and cousins removed to see our thoughts on the night. :)

  3. ... on April 28, 2008 at 9:25 PM  
  4. Nikki said...

    Sounds like a great day for everyone! Is everyone nearby?

    I remember those family reunions in Sturgis(?)- not really tons of fun. It was always on a hot summer Sunday and we were the only ones in dresses. It seemed like everyone there wore a tank top and rode a Harley to the event. That's an exaggeration, but it sure felt like we did not belong with those folks... sad, huh?
    Sounds like you've had lots of family with Aunt Char and Aunt Val out there to visit lately.
    Ditto to dad's comments too. Great post.

  5. ... on April 28, 2008 at 11:01 PM  
  6. Binne77 said...

    How fun!
    I always felt that way about Dan's family...like I fit. He has a HUGE family. HUGE. My parent's families are smaller and those relationships took years to build on. We're all good now...but I totally related w/ everything you wrote. :-)

    You are one awesome chica. /hugs.

  7. ... on April 29, 2008 at 6:03 AM  
  8. Dave said...

    BTW-Around christmas time there were comments from several extended Wadsworth family members that suggested a "family get-together" thing like we did last summer (as a farewell to Tim's family) at the beach, as a kind of family reunion time to reconnect with extended family.
    When can you make it? :-)

  9. ... on April 29, 2008 at 9:16 PM  
  10. Brei said...

    Thank you so much! We can't wait to get to know you guys better and are so glad you live close enough to do that in person! Once this crazy weather moves out, we'll fire up the grill and call you up!

  11. ... on May 1, 2008 at 9:00 AM  
  12. Holly said...

    Aunt Hallie looks soo sporty! I love it! It is so nice that they really reached out to you. I would have felt a little ackward standing at the door like, "What are we actually DOING?" Nathan has a ton of extended family and we hardly know them. We occasionally get a wedding invitation in the mail where we try to guess who it is before looking at the parents. "Is it a friend or family member? Your Mom's side or Dad's? Is it the girl or boy that you should know?" It makes for a fun little game... Glad you had so much fun! :)

  13. ... on May 2, 2008 at 7:35 AM