Today was the fund raising yard sale for Home makeover American Fork. But this was no ordinary yard sale, for sure! They did the sale at the park in front of the city library on the corner of State Street and the Alpine Highway and it wasn't only a sale, they also had a silent auction,

food booths, carnival games for the kids,

and a live band with a raffle or two going on. It was a fund raising spectacular!!

It was really great! The community really came together to support this family. From time to time there would be announcements that if they got so much money in a certain amount of time that someone in attendance would double the donation. One by one people would go up and donate. They earned a thousand dollars this way just while we were there! There was a local businessmen there who offered to donate $25 for the first 15 people who went up and sang a song. Derek and I of course humiliated ourselves and sang. No pictures please! I gathered all the kids in front of the band stand and had all the kids sing and do the motions to "The Wheels on the Bus" and Derek sang a German folk song!


Hyrum got to take his first ride down a slide while at the park. It was chilly but beautiful and I hope it will be enough to keep the building going. They are scheduled to start construction next week. We heard that people were out shopping at the yard sale at 7 o' clock this morning. That is hardcore. Is anyone out there as hardcore a yardsaler as that?


This entry was posted on Saturday, April 26, 2008 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

3 comments:

    Nikki said...

    That's fabulous! I'm glad they are getting so much supoprt. Whoever organized that did a great job!
    Hyrum is so cute on the slide. I bet he'll want to go back and do it again and again! :)

  1. ... on April 27, 2008 at 3:46 PM  
  2. Pam said...

    It's great to see all the community support for this family. I hope they were able to accomplish the goal. I'm sorry we missed the singing. :)

  3. ... on April 27, 2008 at 7:46 PM  
  4. Sunny said...

    The man who was playing the drums in the band was the one who put together the charity for them. I never did meet him but he must be an incredible individual. :) Last I heard they thought that they made around three thousand. I don't know if that will be enough but I'm not sure. I'm not even sure what the goal is. I think they are planning another yard sale with the left over things they had that were worth selling. I still have another chance to dejunk! :)

  5. ... on April 28, 2008 at 9:22 PM