I went and bought more seeds yesterday. When I got home I had them laying on the floor and Hyrum discovered them. I think he's going to like gardening.



This morning was chilly and brisk as we walked in our walking group. As we neared the end of our route began to get excited. Why? Soon I would be planting my little garden of weeden. I pushed the stroller to the backyard and saw my little paradise.

Are gardens suppose to be this adorable? I want one just exactly like it when I have my own house!

She had already planted carrots, onions, and two pounds of peas in her garden but directed me to my section apologizing for the quality of the ground and saying that surely I knew much more about gardening as I asked her questions. I majored in landscape horticulture with a greenhouse emphasis and worked at greenhouses or retail nurseries for probably 10 plus years so everyone considers me an expert. I have lots of experience in greenhouses and all the years growing up helping with our family garden but it is a very different thing to be master of your own land which I have yet to really be. I can't wait to have my very own garden to play with and figure out my way of doing things. But in the mean time I hope I don't disappoint anyone with my lack of practical vegetable gardening skills. I'm sure everyone envisions my gardens to be lush and immaculate bursting with gigantic and varied produce. I may get there someday... I have a dream and the drive to be that kind of a gardener but it's not going to be this year I assure you.

There was a thrill in the air as I put my peas into the little furrow I'd made. I only planted thirty seeds and I think I'll want more so I think we'll try to go by on Saturday so Derek can feel more a part of this too.


While I planted Hyrum sat contented in his stroller and played with the toys I'd brought for him. By the time I was almost done planting he was done sitting and I let him crawl around the grass for a little. He didn't want to go back into the stroller. I think I'll wait for it to get warmer to let him get into the dirt more. I'll have to be sure to only let him terrorize our plants and not our good hosts plants.



This entry was posted on Thursday, April 17, 2008 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

5 comments:

    Holly said...

    What a great birthday present! I think you will LOVE LOVE LOVE your little patch of heaven. It will just get you even more anxious to get your own place, huh? When you get all the food storage and canning done, you will have to sleep on top of it darn it! :) I am so happy Hyrum likes it too! Happy Birthday!

  1. ... on April 17, 2008 at 9:48 PM  
  2. Nikki said...

    Sounds like a perfect birthday for you Sun! :) You've got me panicking though- I haven't even started pulling up weeds to prepare our garden. I'd better hurry up. Wish you were here to plant in my yard instead!
    Happy Birthday!

  3. ... on April 17, 2008 at 11:28 PM  
  4. Nikki said...

    Ut-oh... are those the boxes of clothes behind Hy that I sent you last week? We've go to get you more space!

  5. ... on April 17, 2008 at 11:30 PM  
  6. Binne77 said...

    So cool! Keep the pictures coming. Your excitement is keeping me focused at not killing all my plants this season. :-p

  7. ... on April 21, 2008 at 11:54 AM  
  8. Harrisons said...

    Umm, you didn't tell us it was your birthday! Happy Birthday!! And Hyrum can terrorize the plants at our house. They're used to it ;) I was thinking that working with different people in their gardens will actually be a really good learning experience for you because you will get to see a variety of ways that people garden.

  9. ... on April 21, 2008 at 9:05 PM