On Saturday we also took the opportunity to go over to the garden together and plant a few more peas and some onion starts.

It was warmer and Derek was with me so I let Hyrum get into the garden a little more to get the full experience. For the most part he did great. He just sat in the dirt picking it up mushing it in his hands and dropping it on his overalls (don't all kids have to wear overalls to garden?) or "driving" the trowel through the dirt.

Only once or twice did I see him lifting his dirt encrusted hand to his mouth to get a little taste. (Am I the only mom that isn't too worried about this?) Our host quickly ran into the house to grab a wet paper towel but I just figure it's part of the experience, and I wanted him to get it all!
After it was all said and done Hyrum was pretty filthy. We knew we were going to throw him right into the tub when we got home so this didn't bother us at all.
Just as we were going to leave our gracious host offered us all popsicles as we tried to earn our keep a bit by helping to weed their sandbox. Hyrum had tried a popsicle earlier that week but didn't know what to think of it. We tried it again to see what he thought now...
I guess we'll have to keep trying!
My lettuce hasn't come up yet. I'm pretty sure I planted it too deep. I'll have to go and get some vermiculite and try again this time just putting the seeds on the ground in a finger furrow and spread the vermiculite over it. I guess in my haste and excitement I didn't remember or realize a easier way to do it. I just hope the birds stay away!


This entry was posted on Thursday, April 24, 2008 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

4 comments:

    Holly said...

    I love it! :) I am so excited for your garden! Our neighbors across the street just made one. Nathan went over there yesterday and helped them shovel manure. I guess my neighbor almost lost it a couple of times! Nathan was like, "This is NOTHING compared to what I usually deal with at work!!" :) Going to the greenhouse next friday... wish you could come. :(

  1. ... on April 25, 2008 at 7:05 AM  
  2. Sunny said...

    Yea! I'm so excited for you! SOO wish I could come! Are you going to Potato Joes?!? Nah that's too far away now huh? Are you planting a garden at your neighbors house or are you making your own? The other day the ladies at church were talking about buying strawberries to make into jam and it was so strange to me that they would BUY at the STORE to make jam. To me the ones you buy at the store are just for eating, you go to the field to get strawberries to make jam. Crazy place this Utah.

  3. ... on April 25, 2008 at 8:40 AM  
  4. Nikki said...

    Great start on your garden... I'm so behind on ours. I'll probably have to buy plants instead of seeds just to catch up!
    I love that Hyrum is driving teh trowel- what a boy! Glad you're not worried about him eating dirt... most 1st time moms are. He'll survive- we've all survived. Reagan used to chew on rocks and her face would be covered in mud. I could never get to her fast enough.

  5. ... on April 25, 2008 at 9:45 PM  
  6. Jeannie said...

    HA!! I'm the other mom that doesn't think that getting a little dirt in the mouth is a bad thing! :) Celia has had her share.

  7. ... on May 5, 2008 at 6:47 AM