We've had some interesting firsts in our marriage and this was on par for the course. There was the "3 bedroom apartment" that was our first apartment showing with the oven that looked like it was going to explode and the third bedroom that was literally smaller than most walk in closets. Then there was our first test drive...with the nude pictures in the cup holder from ( and perhaps of ) the previous owner.

We got to the house (6 miles from Derek's work) and had only taken 15 minutes to get there even taking back roads. This would be nice. Then while we waited for the realtor to get there Derek walked around and discovered that the cracks we had seen at the base of the house was only the cement facade chipping off the foundation and not the foundation itself. We were further encouraged. Then when the realtor got there she'd forgotten or misplaced the lock box and we had to break in...we should have known then. We let our realtor in and immediately she noticed a large crack in the wall that went the length of the wall and even around the corner into the kitchen where the floor was bowed so much that you felt like you were walking in a bowl almost.I had my camera with me I should have taken pictures. The bedrooms bring the word "closet" to mind again. But as you can see that was the least of this houses problems.

So that one is crossed off the list...and so far that was the list. This is the best that northern Utah county has to offer for a 3 plus bedroom freestanding house at 180K? We are no longer encouraged.


This entry was posted on Wednesday, July 16, 2008 and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

4 comments:

    Nikki said...

    OH my... better look some more- or change your criteria a bit like 30 yr mor. or condo- or move to a different state... or... or...
    Hang in there. You'll figure something out!

  1. ... on July 17, 2008 at 3:47 PM  
  2. Angie said...

    Good luck with the house shopping. I know it is a pain and people always seem to want way more than their house is worth! I'm sure you'll find a great house soon... with non-closet size bedrooms! And YES, Bibe was your roommate in college... Very funny. She totally remembers you and thought you were great. She even met your parents a few months ago in Grand Rapids. Small world. She didn't remember you being from MI though. Funny.

  3. ... on July 18, 2008 at 11:21 AM  
  4. Binne77 said...

    It took Dan & I nearly 20 - months to find our house. We looked at new houses, used houses....finally we found a HUD house. I am a huge fan of urban rebuilding. Our house has a fair foundation....but we've fixed it up little buy little...and it's not really hard to fix a foundation. You just need the mula to do it. It all depends on if you want to go to all that work.

    Have you looked at HUD Listings? I was amazed to find how many houses were government owned...the cool thing is you put 1000 bucks to bid on the house w/ what your offer is and go from there. We also opted for a 30-year mortgage. It opened up so many more possibilities. I also might suggest foreclosure homes, because they work a lot like HUD homes in that they will usually take a lesser offer, so that they can at least make some money on the property.

    Of course I would suggest looking at the houses before you bid. ;-)

    I walked into my house...that is now 27-years-old..not brand new (I had looked at a brand new home the day before and was contemplating an offer)...but it was 'home.' It had a yard...a great fire place...it had stories to share. NEVER mind it didn't have a water heater....the roof needed fixing....I like to jump in feet first sometimes.

    I just knew it my house. You will know it too, when you find yours. I think you just need to keep treking forward.

    My home just appeared when I had given up and resorted to apartment living for eternity! :-)

  5. ... on July 20, 2008 at 8:46 AM  
  6. Binne77 said...

    p.s. sorry for the epistle and Happy Anniversary! I will always remember yours now, because we share the same day. Ha.

  7. ... on July 20, 2008 at 8:46 AM